New NGK plug wires won't stay on- '03 2.0L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New NGK plug wires won't stay on- '03 2.0L

It's time for a major tune-up on my 2003 FS-DE 2.0L. Looking for good coils, plugs and wires, I read Goldstar's excellent posts on spark plugs. I bought new Hitachi OEM coils, the extended reach Denso plugs, and the NGK ZE76 wire set, as specified in the post and on Rock Auto when purchasing. When installing the new wires, the boots will not stay on the new coils, especially the long plug 1-plug 4 wire (left to right). These cables have been highly recommended yet they do not fit. The old wires fit the new coils just fine, but the new wires slip off of the old coils, so it seems the NGKs are not the correct type. On the old wires, the metal center contact has a swelling at the base to keep it in place, whereas the NGK contacts are straight and will not stay in. Has anyone else experienced this with NGK spark plug cables?

Bump

Comment

you have the correct equipment. i have the same wires and I too noticed that they don't quite "snap" into place as the old ones. if you would like better piece of mind, try a bead of spark plug grease (dielectric grease) on the inside of the rubber boot. this will help seal it from the elements.

Comment

Thanks Grimlock. I did grease the boots, but the wires did not stay on. I returned the NGKs and got some Belden cables from Napa that have a good friction fit. They slipped off as well, though, and gave me a flashing CEL scare on the highway. A zip tie fixed it.

Comment

Working...
        X