Experience with Aftermarket Steering WHeels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience with Aftermarket Steering WHeels

Current OE wheel feels like I'm driving a school bus. Going to move down to a 36. MAYBE a 34.. not sure.

Does anyone have experience with different size wheels? And what are thoughts on eBay wheels? I thought about avoiding them for the purpose of 'ebay crap'.. but if they are tight and sturdy along with the hub adapted, than sure. otherwise, I'll spend significant more on a sparco or something.
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

avoid ebay wheels. they are ****ty. the hubs will be alright i suppose. get a used momo/nardi/personal/sparco

NW MAZDAS

Comment

hubs are hubs, ebay jams are okay unless you really feel like spending the $80 for a Momo or whatever. 330mm is good, I've got a 350mm Momo in the 240 and like it.

depending on your budget, Grip Royal wheels are a pretty solid choice if you don't want to spring for a Nardi/Personal or want something with a little more color.

try to get something with a bit of a dish to it- a flat wheel means smacking your hands on the turn signal/wiper stalks unless you get a spacer (I've got a Works Bell for mine)
      sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
      92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

I'm trying to find some folks around local with different size wheels so I can 'test fit' myself. I've handled some wheels that make it feel like holding a kart wheel (too damn small) and then the oe wheel is a boat. finding the right size is bugging me.

Also, the only other thing I'm picky about is getting suede. No plastic or leather stuff. Deep dish sounds like the way to go, thanks atomic. Also, I'm imaging a hub that has some length to it, or an additional adapter as my seating position puts me back far from the wheel already.
        1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
        "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

330mm is a bit on the small side for me, I think the 350 is perfect. find someone with a first-gen Saturn Ion, pretty sure that's around 330mm, **** is tiny.

suede is similar to Alcantara, right? Alcantara seems to wear really badly in street cars, at least judging from the M-cars I've driven at work.

most hubs are around the same length, something like 2.5-3". you can add length with a spacer or detachable hub thing. I'd start with a dished wheel and see where that gets you, then add a spacer.
          sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
          92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

suede is nice, but youd wanna wear gloves every time you drive, otherwise the oils in your skin will screw it up. jace ive got a 330 sparco you could have for reeeeal cheap if you want one.

NW MAZDAS

Comment

I always look for good deals on used leather wheels, no one wants to go to the trouble of getting it refinisehd and you can get a good quality wheel for about the same cost as new ebay rubbish.

I wish the Mazda Nardi leather wheel were 5-10mm smaller, it would be perfect.
              Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
              kitty, you are a hilarious woman
              Originally posted by HopelessCow
              there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
              Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Bo, interested. Pics?

Comment

Working...
                X