1988 GTX Restoration - Going To Be Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BFMRGTX View Post
    Did you use the Dirtras with the sleeves and coils?
    Yes I did..I wish I could get the car a smidge lower in the rear...like 1/2"

Comment

If you have an angle grinder and a flapper wheel (or regular grinding wheel), remove that weld bead and have the sleeve down to the mounting tabs. Might need a tender spring when it's all done but it will get the drop you want. I went back up to just below stock height for handling reasons.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yasin, check my post in the BF general section on the coilovers. Terry can you post some pics of those in my thread for a reference please when you get a chance?

Comment

looks great with the lowering as is!!! i vote to leave it
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Looks great.. I don't really see the rake in it..

Comment

Terry - I did think about grinding down the perch for the threaded collar, unfortunately that would yield no benefit as it would put the locking circular nut right into the wall of the tire and hence interference.

I like Clay's approach, but not sure if I have room for spacers, might need to investigate that further. Thanks for the link to your thread!

I will leave the ride height for the time being, I find the car VERY stiff with these coilovers (not sure on the spring rating), but will put some miles on and will be interesting to see how it drives compared to my coilovered GT.

Overall, the car does look really sharp and from my measurement, its about 2.5" lower than stock.

Thanks for the comments and kind words.
              Yasin

Comment

Ah, I forgot that the miata rear brake is not installed on your car. That will push out the wheels by approx 3/8.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

Please tell me more about this Miata rear brake kit...you have my attention.

Comment

Originally posted by slownrusty View Post
                    Please tell me more about this Miata rear brake kit...you have my attention.

short list..
                    Miata rear brakes
                    Custom bracket (file can be found on yahoo group, and maybe even on this site)
                    Galant Rear rotor
                    Longer wheel studs

Comment

Well, as I always say the devil is in the details. I was able to order new decals for the rear 1/4s from Mazda (not cheap for a sticker!) and then also painted the rear MAZDA emblem.

As I had the day off today, I took the car for an alignment today as I noticed the toe was a little out after installing the coilovers. Well low and behold once on the rack, I discovered that the front main seal is weeping oil and the rear bushings are looking iffy, I also noticed that the rear brakes are very worn AND I need a front wheel bearing (so I was only able to semi-complete the alignment)...so more work and $$ to spend.

Teaser of what I am working on for the car:

Comment

So some good news. I spent some yesterday after work at my local Mazda dealership.
                        The front strut mounts are still available and are $73. each.
                        Quite a bit of the rear suspension bushings and arms are also available, please reference the scan below with part numbers and respective prices. I hope this is useful in the future to you my friends.

Comment

I have a few busy weekends ahead!

Comment

Nice! Is the radiator 100% custom or from another vehicle (ala: Civic)?

Comment

Terry its the Radiator designed by Koyo for a turbo Integra motor (B18 or B16 Honda engine) in the early - mid '90s Civic.

I've been running this in my GT for a few years now in Houston with the AC and it does an efficient job of managing the heat and keeping the temps down.

Here the original thread from that install:

Comment

Yeah, now I remember that. Are you going to install the bungs in the radiator for the two sensors? Or install those in another place? Or will it matter if you're going MS?

Comment

Working...
                                X