No announcement yet.

1988 GTX Restoration - Going To Be Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys! Some more pics coming this weekend.

Comment

Well I am about 90% finished the rear Euro / JDM rear bumper bracket, it took quite a bit longer than originally planned (I guess that is the norm with this type of work), combined with the fact it was 105-110F here in Houston this weekend, all in all I think I have 18 hours into these brackets.

Next weekend I will be able to mount the bumper finally when I am able to finish the last 10% during the week. I have to say this was tricky or rather fiddly-time consuming work, but the fitment was spot on when I mounted the bumper. The Euro / JDM bumpers are so stylish compared to the diving boards / planks that were fitted to the US cars, so I feel it was worth the effort.

In the pictures below, I photographed the new bumper bracket I made next to the heavily corroded Euro / JDM bumper bracket.

Cheers!
      Yasin

Comment

My bumper didn't come with the bar that spans between the two pickup points, so it gets extra flimsy in hot weather. Yay me.

Comment

Ahh..good point, its not too difficult to make a new piece that spans the left and right mounts to avoid saging and wavyness in the hot weather, all that is required is some flat stock (I prefer aluminum) and a set of clamping pliers to bend it into an "L" shape, then you can either epoxy, TIG Weld or bolt it. In the end this will give the bumper much more support too.

Comment

I'm probably going to use steel, either square stock or channel (I have some unistrut laying around) and bending it slightly with a torch.

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Another thought is Styrofoam as used in bumper applications, and can be cut and shaped and will not "settle" over time.

Comment

I can see that working, but I'd have to research more because it would suck if it became a permanent part of the bumper skin.

Comment

Not much new in the past few weeks unfortunately. I've actually been driving the car and put about 30 miles on it, and it runs very well, I also have it registered and a title in my name

I also have the Euro / Japanese rear bumper permanently mounted and also mocked up the side skirts today, which I will drop off to my friend's body shop this week to be color matched with the hopes of mounting them in two weeks.

From tonight.

Comment

looking good!
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Nice Rusty, keep up the good work.........

Comment

Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

Comment

Well after almost one month (where does time go??), I mounted the factory side skirts tonight - yippee! 10 of those days were at my friend's body shop to paint the six (6) pieces and color match them to the car. Its amazing how much time it takes to install something that appears fairly straightforward.

As my car was never pre-drilled for these pieces at the factory, it really was nerving to drill the recently painted rocker panels to install the plastic clips required to mount the side skirts. I hate drilling the car, but there is no other way around that to mount these skirts. That drilling process took the better part of an afternoon, as seven (7) holes for each side had to be drilled, I also made a rectangular cardboard template for the plastic clips and used my Dremel to shape each circular drilled hole into a rectangular hole. I then masked it all, and then primed and painted each hole. After a few days of the paint curing, I put a smidge of grease around each hole for further corrosion protection and also to help the clips slide into the hole. I also had a little bit of a tough time selecting or deciding on the "right" fasteners and many trips to the local store before I found a good stainless solution (#10 self tapping screw that is 3/4" long with a nylon washer).

I have to say the car looks great with these factory skirts and enhances the lines. I am pleased with how they came out. If all goes well this weekend, I am going to lower the car on coilovers and install the aftermarket wheels - wish me luck

Comment

Coilovers are in and so are the wheels
                            plus an oil change completed also.

Comment

Nice looker!

Makes me want to keep my SE hatchback, making a big move west, can only drive one vehicle at a time. So it's for sale, and the part GTX chassis also. Health reason….
                              David
                              sigpic Ky

Comment

Did you use the Dirtras with the sleeves and coils?

Comment

Working...
                                X