No announcement yet.

1988 GTX Restoration - Going To Be Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ Yes! I had a buddy do the rears but I am going to tackle the front this weekend.

Comment

Got my new GT2860RS Turbo today (internally gated) its going to be a VERY tight fit using it and the ram horn exhaust manifold. I'll start mocking it up really soon...crossing fingers that it all fits.

Comment

What do you have for a turbine elbow?

Comment

I'm going to make a custom downpipe out of stainless (5 bolt flange) - I think I'm answering your question?

Comment

Yeah, that manifold was a pain in the ass.

Comment

No A/C then for the Houston summer's? Well either way with the GT turbine housing it will take up the space for the a/c compressor anyway. Did your manifold slide the turbo to the drivers side a bit?

Comment

Terry - Do you have the ram horn manifold installed in your car, if so can you please throw-up a pic or two? The problem is the manifold is so wide so everything is pushed towards the radiator and rad. support. Also which turbo are you running?

Clay - No AC, this car never came with it.
                Last edited by slownrusty; 11-27-2015, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Ive recently been surprised lately. Every GTX ive ever saw or owned has had A/C. Just bought one without from the factory, like yours.
                  Mazda
                  1988 Black 323 GT
                  DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

This restoration is amazing. Lots of props to you Yasin. I reread it again and it's still exciting from beginning to present.

'88 GT
                    '88 GTX
                    '85 Toyota Cressida 5-Speed
                    '88 323 GT
                    '88 323 GTX

Comment

Originally posted by FamiliaGT View Post
                      Ive recently been surprised lately. Every GTX ive ever saw or owned has had A/C. Just bought one without from the factory, like yours.
                      They all came with no air..that was installed at the dealer. The 3 that I have had ...2 with and 1 without.. The fwd hatch I had was with. Look at the installs. None of them look alike. All a bit different thus they were delete from Hiroshima.
                      Last edited by azgtx; 11-27-2015, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Now that I didn't know! Over the course of the last 12 years ive seen ALOT of 323's, GTX's, and GT's. All had A/C or left over bits from A/C deletes. Only 323 Ive seen without was a DX in the JY. Thanks for the correction Clay.
                        Mazda
                        1988 Black 323 GT
                        DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Rotary View Post
                          This restoration is amazing. Lots of props to you Yasin. I reread it again and it's still exciting from beginning to present.

'88 GT
                          '88 GTX
                          Thanks bro! I appreciate it, glad you are enjoying the thread. Its been fun so far, more updates to come my man.

Now that I didn't know! Over the course of the last 12 years ive seen ALOT of 323's, GTX's, and GT's. All had A/C or left over bits from A/C deletes. Only 323 Ive seen without was a DX in the JY. Thanks for the correction Clay.
                          I don't believe my GTX came with AC, there are no signs of it ever being installed. As this car lived a majority (if not all) its life in Northern California, I can see it not being a necessity.

I am in the process of replacing most of the rear suspension bushings with Polyurethane meaning:
                          1) Sway bar bushings including end links
                          2) All four (4) lateral links - right and left
                          3) Trailing arms - right and left

Fortunately Whiteline make a kit that will work on our GTX cars, the kit is W61757 and two (2) kits are required. You will have to trim the center sleeves to fit with either a Sawzall or Angle Grinder - but not a biggie. These kits are currently on sale for only $18.46 on www.whitelinesuspensionparts.com, typically they retail for around $125. Its worth buying two (2) sets while at this reduced cost.

Failing that or if you have a damaged rear Lateral link, the one out of a 1991-1994 MX3 GS will work with the GTX, the front lateral link is about 1/2" too long and also does not have the provision for the rear sway bar end link. These arms are $95 each from Mazda and still available (fortunately).

I'll post some more pics when I receive the sway bar bushings as I had to do some research but I believe the bushings from a 2001-2007 Corolla will work (front sway bar).

Today's project will be to remove the old bushings from the GTX arms and get them ready for powder coating.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

My best,
                          Yasin
                          Last edited by slownrusty; 11-28-2015, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I saw so many polyurethane bushings on eBay and I dragged my feet to purchase them. Now there's little to none on there. Thanks for this find and sharing it with us Yasin!

'88 GT
                            '88 GTX
                            '88 323 GT
                            '88 323 GTX

Comment

You're welcome!!

So I spent this cold wet afternoon, removing old bushings. Respect to Mazda, those old rubber bushings were tough to remove and obviously well made and fitted, even though from the exterior they were a little rough, the rest of the bushing was in good shape and probably had a fair bit of life left in them.

To remove them I started using a socket and an impact, then was taking too long, so cracked out the MAP Gas torch..easy after that.

Ready for powder coating!

Comment

Everything is looking great, its good to see some work get done on our BFs.

I see your strut bolts are incorrect, the lock washer does not go under the flanged nut, in fact, I don't think its used for the bolts for the struts, only possibly for the lateral and trailing links.

I've had at least one GTX without A/C, and it never came with it. The option lists of the GTXs I've had are pretty weird:
                                #1 had sunroof, A/C, electric windows, and both wings.
                                #2 has sunroof, no A/C, manual windows, both wings
                                #3 had sunroof, A/C, electric windows, and no wings
                                #4 has sunroof, A/C, manual windows, both wings.

Note that BF GTX sunroofs are terrible rusty things even in dry parts of California!
                                Last edited by djcommie; 12-01-2015, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X