No announcement yet.

1988 GTX Restoration - Going To Be Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn slownrusty..... nice job. Is the building you are doing the work in your shop? If it is, I'm jealous!!!!! LOL.

I wish I had a shop to put all my toys in and to do work. Maybe someday.

Keep posting pics! I'm enjoying seeing the progress.

Comment

No that is my buddy's body shop where the transformation is taking place.

Comment

Car is block sanded and ready for the second coat of primer, we discovered a few dimples that will be filled first.

Sexy Lambo Murci in the background.

Comment

man that looks like alot of work
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

It is a ton of work...just went through it myself. Yasin, are they not taking off the hatch glass reveals or taking out the quarter windows and rubber to get under that stuff? Also, are the belt moudlings still on there...hard to tell?

Comment

It truly is a ton of work to make each panel on a 27 year old car arrow straight and perfect prior to painting. Its all in the prep and will be worth the level of effort.

I decided to leave all the trim and glass molding in, as I was concerned about disturbing it and then have it break and not get a perfect seal once disturbed. If I had access to spare moldings / trim I might have pulled all the glass.

Regards,
              Yasin

Comment

Yeah, finding trim and molding pieces are getting tough. I am collecting parts for a new paint job, and it's not looking too good.

Comment

Using the bright trims you can spray them with an etching primer and then use a good automotive quality trim paint and then a good satin clear. It works and looks like OEM. Any and all of the black trim pieces are NLA from Mazda.

Comment

Yeah that's the plan, I was going to take the chrome pieces to a shop that repairs wheels and get them powder coated or electroplated. The rubber pieces for the door might have to come from the lowly, base model.

Comment

Well she's painted! Looks great. Paint needs to cure, water sanded and buffed.

Should be home next week..cross fingers.

Yasin

Comment

im digging the color!
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Yes it definitely is very sharp. It is an updated Mazda metallic silver from the '80s using PPG paint and clear.

Comment

Are you going to paint any black accents (Greenhouse, B-pillar, trim)?

Comment

Nice Yasin...it reminds me of Kenny Lew's car. His car was monochromatic...everything was silver...all the trim and the side rails..wings..everything. I see they filled the alignment holes for the side rails. Maybe go with the GTae look and slap on a set of skirts and leave the rails off. Lookin to go that way on my black car.

Comment

Looks like your front tires are reversed. The rotational tread is on the wrong side, from what I see. But that's enough of the knit-picking...nice paint job, looks great!

Comment

Working...
                                X