1988 GTX Restoration - Going To Be Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the comments.

I have not thought about painting any black accents (probably will not) and had the side moulding holes filled to give the car a smooth look. The Japanese fenders that were on the car had no side moulding trim, so that made it easy to decide the path to take. Do you have pictures of Kenny's car?

The car is roller for now and I have a set of aftermarket wheels and tires lined up to mount once the car is home, so did not pay much attention to the direction of rotation on the tires - thanks for pointing that out though.

Cheers,
    Yasin

Comment

might have to search the yahoo group. Terry might have a shot of it.

Comment

After about 4 months, the GTX is finally home and I am quite excited. Now comes the fun of installing all the bits and the re-assembly.
        I have boxes and boxes of parts and fasteners to go through, but will enjoy it.

First thing. New rear light gaskets.

Rear lights installed:

Yasin

Comment

that takes patience to make new seals. what material did you use tho?
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

It didn't take too long just required some patience. I used foam that I bought at my local automotive upholstery shop.

Comment

I did the exact same thing and I am not seeing any leaks...but you will have quite a bit more rain in Houston than we have here in the desert.... but I don't drive the GTX's in the rain either. That foam is high density that is real close to the oem so it should work fine. I sent those gaskets to Rocket man as he was going to try and replicate them using his CNC setup.

Comment

Today's project.

1) Mount the headlights and corner lights. All factory fasteners are being replaced with stainless.

2) Sand and paint the peeling window trim flat black

After, the painted trim came out great:

3) Paint the door mirrors in metallic silver - also came out really great:

Comment

Sweet bf.wish i had a 2 door.i have fe3n bf

Comment

Sweet.wish i had a gtx.how far is restoration.

Comment

The past few weeks have gone by quickly and I have not forgotten about the car or updating this thread.

I carefully stripped the horrid looking weathered rubber / plastic coating from all the window trim which will be painted this Saturday. I also painted the cowl and the top hatch spoiler. Its coming along nicely.

Overspray is nasty!

Painted Cowl and top spoiler:
                      Primered:

Painted:

Hatch spoiler primered:

Yasin

Comment

The next time you get the windshield replaced have them use the wide rubber edging so you can ditch the metal reveals. You are brave painting that stuff on the car. Those belt mouldings do come off easily as well as the drip moulds. Are you using an etching primer on those? SEM has a nice automotive trim paint in a satin black that looks OEM. Nice car Yasin.

Comment

my god you have patience...
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                            The next time you get the windshield replaced have them use the wide rubber edging so you can ditch the metal reveals. You are brave painting that stuff on the car. Those belt mouldings do come off easily as well as the drip moulds. Are you using an etching primer on those? SEM has a nice automotive trim paint in a satin black that looks OEM. Nice car Yasin.
                            Will do buddy, thanks for the heads-up on the windshield, the car still has the factory glass (!) - fortunately. I did play it safe and did not want to remove the trim and mouldings, the paint is very similar to SEM.

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                            my god you have patience...
                            Yes I do....trying to make everything just perfect and the devil is in the details.

Yasin

Comment

Talk about the Devil being in the details. Its going to look great when you are finished. Some day maybe I'll get to restoring my GTX like that.

Comment

Thanks!

Top hatch spoiler painted and ready to be fitted:

Comment

Working...
                                X