No announcement yet.

1988 GTX Restoration - Going To Be Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I am going to install the factory bungs (upper and lower) in this radiator.

Comment

i hope that is sufficient to keep your system cool. I cant say much for the b6t. but the BP & up runs hotter than hell it seems
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
        i hope that is sufficient to keep your system cool. I cant say much for the b6t. but the BP & up runs hotter than hell it seems
        I've tested this same set-up on my 323 GT B6T for 2 years and it runs flawlessly in the middle of summer in Houston traffic with the A\C on full blast. It is actually designed to support around 350+ hp.

Comment

Aluminum radiator is in and plumbed

Lower brackets:

Comment

I see a custom intercooler in your future.

Comment

Just how big are the stock intercoolers there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes I have a new larger intercooler and piping that will be installed hopefully during Thanksgiving weekend (fingers crossed).

I 'll photograph the stock one next to it, for comparison purposes.

Comment

Even better would be a water/meth injection and keep the smaller intercooler thus keeping the charge system volume smaller...quicker and smoother throttle response.

Comment

Charge volume isn't a particularly big metric on something with such small tubing and intercooler. I couldn't tell a single bit of difference with spool time, boost threshold or transient response with a Starion intercooler versus the stock unit, which used the stock rubber hoses and a 90deg elbow of the same diameter.

Looking at that new small radiator, maybe a Probe intercooler would fit perfectly next to it. They aren't the best design, but one with full airflow would likely support 180hp on a car with free-flowing intake and exhaust.

Comment

I have one of each of those intercoolers and what you say is true...but...I have a friend who has run a B6T with no intercooler and a water/meth injection.. and that is where you feel the difference and I have felt it..in the AZ desert in the summer time and the EGT's are perfect. Quick response and real linear..in a 140 mph Festiva. Around here the stock coolers heat soak quickly in the summer heat.

Comment

There is no question that meth or water injection would be cool, and maybe something to look into down the road for insurance and managing AFRs.

The stock intercooler is a dated design that is nearing 30 years old, newer more efficient cores and end tank designs (coupled with affordability) makes an intercooler upgrade the next logical thing to do, which I am planning in the next few weeks.

The new intercooler that I am using is significantly better than the MX6 / Probe GT design and is shown below:

Comment

nice parts pile!!! anxious to see that in the mix
                          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Oh my …

'88 GT
                            '88 GTX
                            '85 Toyota Cressida 5-Speed
                            '88 323 GT
                            '88 323 GTX

Comment

Today was a good day. New rear brakes (rotors and pads) and new rear bearings installed and back together.

Broken rear pad spreader clip...luckily found a good substitute on eBay:

New rotors compared to the ones that came off the car:

I needed pads desperately:

Next to do is to tackle the rear bushings and the suspect front right wheel bearing.

Comment

Did you get a press?

Comment

Working...
                                X