Pondering a BP/Gseries swap into a FWD BF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pondering a BP/Gseries swap into a FWD BF

So my '88 323 wagon has been burning a lot of oil lately. At the moment it has a DOHC B6 Capri swap in it. I've got a spare BP motor and either an F series or a G series trans I could swap into the BF. What I would like to do is swap the G series into my BP MX-3...using the F series out of it for the BP swap in the BF.

I'm not concerned about the G series going into the MX-3, but I do have some questions about doing a BP/F series swap in the BF.

I know the passenger side motor mount has to be tweaked and the frame rail modified. What about the other 3 mounts? What axles do I need if I continue to run the BF knuckles?

I'll be swapping an entire BP harness/ECU into the BF so my only concerns are the questions above.

You know this is funny, I have been looking into this as well for my wagon! I have been looking around but haven't figured anything out 100% yet! I want to make the wagon the perfect road trip car. A bp fits that bill well.
    1991 Mazda 323 Base (Gretchen)-Build Thread
    Sold-1987 Mazda 323 Wagon (Molly)-Build Thread
    R.I.P.-1988 Mazda 323 GT (Misty) -Build Thread

Oh Colorado, how beautiful your mountains and awesome your roads!

Comment

I'm not familiar with the US models but can't you just keep the B6 transmission?
      At least in europe, you can swap transmissions from B- and Z-series engines...

Comment

Yes we can use the cable f on a BP. The G, hydro is just a better/more reliable trans! This may be better posted in the BF engine section Justin!
        1991 Mazda 323 Base (Gretchen)-Build Thread
        Sold-1987 Mazda 323 Wagon (Molly)-Build Thread
        R.I.P.-1988 Mazda 323 GT (Misty) -Build Thread

Oh Colorado, how beautiful your mountains and awesome your roads!

Comment

subbin
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I've got a few small projects to finish up first, but I hope to make some progress on this once I get the motor back in my girlfriend's Miata.

Comment

check out my build thread: http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/show...ecret-Race-Car

you dont need to modify the frame if you use a B6T single v belt crank pulley. the passenger side mount is fairly simple if you have some light fab skills and i believe i used the stock f series trans mount brackets and mounts. i filled my front mount with poly to make it stiffer but you wont need that on a stock BP. if youre going to leave it stock the f series with an upgraded clutch holds fine but the cable g series is a direct bolt in and much stronger. i personally like the hydro with the cable adapter cause theyre easy to come by and clock the motor more vertically. the down side to the g series is youll need capri xr2/ 323 GT axles with an intermediate shaft adapter to fit the BP block. i make and sell the adapters for $120 shipped to the lower 48 if youre interested.
              i know its a piece of crap... but im still faster...

Comment

Thanks for the info. I might try the hydro F series trans first since I will have an extra one laying around. Capris show up in the junk yard around here pretty often to get the hydro clutch stuff.

Comment

So this project might happen sooner than expected. My girlfriend has been driving the wagon everyday while we rebuilt her Miata motor. I finished that on Friday and she calls on the way home from work to say the wagon has a new tick. The ""tick" turned into full blown rod knock by the time she made it home. I knew the oil pump had been getting week and I was just hoping it would hold on until the Miata was running again. Timed it about perfect. I'll be putting together all the parts I need for the swap over the next few weeks.

As easy as it would be to leave the cable F series in the car I think I'm going to do a major shuffle of stuff. I've got a roadrace BG Protege that I just bought. The motor in it is a Miata motor and technically illegal for the class it races in. I'm going to pull that whole motor/trans out and swap it into my MX-3. That should only take a day or two since the MX-3 is already a BP swap car, but it has the hydro F series trans. The BP motor/hydro F series trans from the MX-3 will go into the BF wagon. I've got a spare BP and a few spare G series transmissions I can build and stick back into the roadrace Protege.

I'll update again when all that gets set in motion.

Comment

Working...
                  X