Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To swap or rebuild 97 protege engine?? That is the question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To swap or rebuild 97 protege engine?? That is the question!

My favorite rig so far has been my 97 protege. I am currently driving it and would love to keep driving it. I had so many plans for it when I first bought it. It only has about 193 thousand something miles on it.

However I have a cylinder one misfire that has become the bane of my existence. I have narrowed it down to being a leaky cylinder. Not sure what is causing the loss of compression but it only reaches about 70psi. Which as far as my knowledge goes, is bad!

UPDATE: Had a compression/leakdown test done. Apparently its something to do with the intake valve. Either not seating or is damaged. They say they may be able to just adjust it and viola. But if they're not able to adjust it then a valve job is in order.

Can the valves be adjusted on these rigs?
    Last edited by empire_eldest; 02-10-2015, 02:22 PM. Reason: Update!

Could be as simple as a damaged valve. Once it's opened up you can gauge where to go with it then
    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

how is the oil consumption on it?? usually low compression numbers stem from valve issues. a simple refresh of the cylinder head does absolute wonders.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Just get a $2-300 junkyard motor.

80 psi is blown ring tier.
        Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
        kitty, you are a hilarious woman
        Originally posted by HopelessCow
        there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
        Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Turns out all it really needed was just an adjustment on the intake valves in that first cylinder. They put a shim on and she runs like a dream now!

Comment

sweet! thats good news. how much was the repair cost?
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Working...
            X