Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear end shift around turns-new trailing arms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, first let me say I hope I didn't offend by mentioning Mazdas247. Second, I found out what was causing all the noise. First it was the muffler hangers, but before I had those replaced, I had spring lox put in between my rear springs so my tires wouldn't rub going over speed bumps and around turns. The guy who put them in, didn't tighten the one closest to the inner wheel housing so that started making the same noise the muffler was making on the worn out hangers.
    But, it still slid to the left around sharp right turns. Had the stabilizer bar bushings put in today and that made a huge difference. Am going to also replace the lateral links, as the bushings in those are shot. Too bad you can't just replace the bushings! But first, am going to get a replacement shifter and have that put in before my shifter falls through the floor.
    Thank you, FE3-323 and 1Mazda323Fan for your suggestions and advice! I appreciate that I can post questions and get answers!

Comment

I have shifter bushings i can sell you if your shifter is sloppy. The 3rd gen protege has a rubber hanger that prevents the shifter itself dropping, so unless that went mia it wont fall through the floor
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Well, that's good to know, that it won't fall through the floor. I've already replaced my bushings though, that made a huge difference in the sloppiness. But the bottom plate and spindle under the floor is rusted and the spindle is about to break and it's still sloppy and shifts funny. You can't just order those parts separately, so I'm looking on car-part.com for another shifter assembly. Thank you though.

Comment

You're most welcome for the help. That's what we're here for. And no offence taken for visiting another site; a lot of people subscribe to more than one. The CP community isn't what it used to be.

Glad to hear the stabiliser bushings helped quell the rear end shifting. If you can find the lateral link bushings they can be replaced separately, but the labour costs involved make it easier and cheaper to just replace the entire link. The bushings would have to be pressed out and back in, and most shops charge too many hours to do that. Sadly, I know this from personal experience. Also, I do hope you can find the shifter parts you need cheaply. My preferred cheap part site, rockauto.com, doesn't seem to have them.

Did you get your alignment checked? I'm sure it's most likely fine, but Im still curious to know what the readout was.
          1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

I've actually gotten more responses from CP, and I'm thankful for that. I gleaned the other info from previous posts on M247. I got the cheapest thing, the exhaust hangers, from Rockauto.com, the stabilizer bushings from AWR and blue shifter bushings off Ebay. I don't necessarily go for the cheapest or the best, just a decent better than stock middle of the road. I guess, the three main after market brands are: Mevotech, Beck/Arnley and ROCA, unless you want to pay beaucoup bucks for AWR.

No, I haven't had the alignment done yet. I'm going to have it done after I get the lateral links and have them put on. I really wasn't expecting to have to re-do the whole rear end, it's a whole new learning experience and more costly than I was hoping, especially after four laterals. I will definitely post the results of the alignment when I get it done.

Thanks again!

Comment

still subbing to see alignment specs. i think you can get some megan arms for the 4 laterals as well. ones that have middle adjusters( a huge plus )
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

New update. Finally got the lateral arms replaced Monday after the death of a torque wrench and screw driver, and the shifter replaced. Wound up with a set of Mevotechs from Rock Auto. After all that, come to find out, the front driver's side ball joint was toast. So today got a new control arm installed. Not to say I didn't need practically the whole rear end replaced, because it led to the real culprit eventually, but what a learning experience and headache!
                Hopefully I get my car back tomorrow and get to test it out, see if that really did take care of the sliding. But it kinda makes sense, I didn't see how the laterals could have caused it to slide out like that. 'Til tomorrow....

Comment

good detective work!!!

Comment

Any updates on this? I'm interested to know if your issue has been resolved. Hoping it is; I know how much fun chasing down suspension issues can be sometimes (not very).
                    1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Sorry, I didn't get back to give results. Yes, the control arm was the culprit of the sliding, since the ball joint was toast, it kept the left front wheel from keeping contact with the road. Alignment seems right, they say it's in the green, but I've never seen my back wheels slightly off. Looking from the back, they are both angled out just a fraction on the bottom. My back wheels have always been straight up and down before. They didn't give me any specs, and since they replaced the laterals and a new control arm, they were basically starting from scratch. It seems like such a round about and expensive way to get there, but as bad as the lateral knuckles were, I guess it's better than my rear end giving out. So, tomorrow I am having a AWR front mount installed, and this car will almost be like the one I had totaled. Thank you all for the suggestions, they were helpful. I will definitely be back if and when I have any more problems.

Comment

glad to help!!

Comment

i have a 2002 Mazda protege es 2.0 im looking to do all 4 Lateral Arm and the 2 Trailing Arm but cant fine the torque specs on Trailing Arm both bolts & Lateral Arm long bolts TIA

Comment

Working...
                          X