• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1989 323 auto to a 5 speed qustions

Hello all
    I have some questions my son wants to take his 1989 323 se automatic
    and switch it over to a 5 speed manual

what is the model number of the five speed transmission ?
    what years will work ?
    what cars have that same five speed in it 323 626 ford ?

what to watch out for
    transmission mounts the same ?
    axle cv the same ?
    speed o cable same ?
    shifter hole in the uni-body same ?
    is cross member the same that goes with rubber mounts ?
    clutch pedal assembly will it need to be out of a 323 626 ?
    the the wiring for the rev switch and neutral safety switch the same ?

any help would be great
    thank you for your time

Speed

I have done the swap before in my old 89. Its been 8 or 9 years so there are going to be some small details I have forgotten.

Its an extremely straight forward bolt in swap. everything and I meen everything interchanges and bolts in with out any kind of modifications at all. Even the wiring for the reverse lights and clutch safety switch.

Since you have an 89 (BF chassis) you need all your parts from a BF chassis car. If possible I would stick to 87 - 89. Its best when doing the swap if you go down and pull all the parts your self.

You'll want all the little bits and pieces and bolts, covers ect. Mounts, axles, fly wheel, clutch(all though I'd suggest getting a new clutch),clutch cable, peddle assembly with the sensors on it, wiring harness pieces (there are a couple jumper harnesses, this is what makes it plug and play). transmission with the sensors on it, shift linkage, shifter knob and boot (unless you want to make your own). speedo cables are interchangeable

The things I can't quite remember is if the mounts are interchangeable or if I just swapped them just cause I had them. I also remember looking at the axles and I can't remember if auto and 5 speed axles were interchangeable, I don't think they were.

Pull the old auto out. I do this out threw the bottom and leave the motor in the car. Replace the flex plate with the fly wheel. pretty sure the bolts are different between the flex plate and flywheel. Install the clutch and install the transmission. The reverse lights and neutral switch will plug and play in the factory harness where the auto switch plugged into.

For the peddle assembly I can't remember if I removed the dash or just the steering column. I removed the auto assembly and installed the 5 speed one. While doing this there is a plate on the fire wall that gets removed, thats for your clutch cable. There should be a jumper harness from the clutch saftey switch that goes to a spot in the fuse box. The auto just has a plug with a wire loop in it. The 5 speed has a jumper harness that replaces this wire loop.

For the shifter you just pull out the center console. I usually pull seats makes like easier. Everything will unbolt and come out. The 5 speed stuff bolts right up in its place.

If you pull the 5 speed apart and get all the little bolts and brackets it'll be a really really easy swap. I had mine finished in 5 and a half hours.

Comment

thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
      X