5 speed tranny starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 speed tranny starting problems

Hi ok I'll try to ask my question as good as I can, I can start my 94 mazda protege without the clutch engaged and in neutral, when I put in the clutch and try to start it won't, maybe a little crank like it wants to start, is my tranny bad? I was told that the clutch master and slave cylinder was bad so replaced that and didn't do anything. Any help would help thanks, I bought the car this way.

Not enough info. when you try to start with the car in gear and your foot on the clutch a d it doesn't start, does the car try to lurch forward on the starter motor? then the clutch isn't disengaging. If it doesn't try to move at all, and the parking brake is not on, then all you might need is to adjust the clutch safety switch a bit.
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Ok it seems that the wheel moves a bit but not much also, also how is it able to start in neutral with out pushing in the clutch, and where is the clutch safety switch located?

Comment

clutch safety switch is on the back side of the clutch pedal.
        sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
        92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

hmmm yeah if it starts witbout having to put the clutch in then that sounds like that switch (which is pretty much on the clutch pedal up high under the dash) is not the problem and is probably not working at all. It could be that the neutral switch on the trans is causing the problem. I think they had that item on these cars by'94 but am not certain. What happens when you pump on the clutch pedal like a madman and then try to start it with the clutch engaged? And how does it drive once it's fired up? If it goes into gear with the engine running then the clutch is disengaging as it should and your hydraulics are fine. If not then not. If it goes into gear and drives fine then your trans is OK and this is a switch gremlin.
          '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
          '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
          http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Thanks for the answers, I'll have to look into later also engine runs fine its trying to put it in gear and move it.

Comment

Why not bypass the clutch interlock altogether. Then it should start whenever you turn the key, no matter what. That is pretty much what I did.
              1990 Protege 4WD
              GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
              ├┼┤
              2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

watched a Saturn slam into a toolbox at Firestone one day because the dude's clutch switch didn't work and he didn't tell the tech.

that **** is there for a reason.
                sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Originally posted by 94mazdaprotege View Post
                  Thanks for the answers, I'll have to look into later also engine runs fine its trying to put it in gear and move it.
                  You need to finish your process, the master and the slave need bleeded. If you can't get the car to go into gear with it started, its because your slave cylinder is not pushing the throwout bearing and shift fork far enough in. This is why your car will try to move with it in gear and you try to start it. Also, it seems that your clutch switch is probably bypassed.
                  Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
                  "Who Dey"

Comment

Clutch switch is bypassed. Its soldered and tucked under the carpet. Or was when I owned the car.but like others have said, you need to completely bleed the system.
                    -Steve

94' Protege < Worklog<SOLD!
                    VF10 powered!
                    262 Whp & 257 Wtq
                    13.1@107

'02 Suzuki Bandit 600s

Comment

Working...
                    X