Clear All

Understood.
    That makes perfect sense.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

So last night, I was wishing I had a trash head to practice porting and polishing on. It turns out I have one already. I found at least four cracks. One is almost to the valve guide.
      Attached Files

Comment

The second picture is the one where most of the damage is. You can see the discoloration on the corresponding valve surface, and you can see the black carbon in the intake side. You can also see the crack in the exhaust valve seat. That sucker goes all the way down to the valve guide almost. Mike at the machine shop looked at it with a flashlight and confirmed it. Oh, it's cracked alrighty.

I'll see if I can get some better pics.

Comment

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

oh ****!!! i can see the crack now that im on an actual computer....
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Any plans to go with a hybrid VJ20 setup or keeping it as-is?

Comment

Originally posted by boosted94 View Post
                Any plans to go with a hybrid VJ20 setup or keeping it as-is?
                I don't think so, although I might change my mind if I came across the right deal.

Once I have the car back up to spec, it should be plenty fast enough for my taste. I'm going to loose low end torque with the BP head, but it's being worked on by someone who knows what they're doing, and the increased compression should help with something. I'm also thinking of going with a BP intake to try and compensate for the loss of torque. I really like the idea of having the VICS hooked up to an RPM switch. (or some such)

Comment

i support the idea!
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                  he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

This if 50 percent off on all parts weekend so I might have gone off a little. I should go back actually.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
                      I don't think so, although I might change my mind if I came across the right deal.

Once I have the car back up to spec, it should be plenty fast enough for my taste. I'm going to loose low end torque with the BP head, but it's being worked on by someone who knows what they're doing, and the increased compression should help with something. I'm also thinking of going with a BP intake to try and compensate for the loss of torque. I really like the idea of having the VICS hooked up to an RPM switch. (or some such)
                      What is this lose of torque ye speaks of? Im sorry, what head do (did) you have? I personaly ran a vj20 for a very limited time so cant speak for certain, but that turbo had a ton of bottom end.kinda miss it.

Comment

The head was a BP 26 that came on the GTX engine. When the engine was fresh, I could spin the wheels in third gear. That hasn't happened for a while though.

Comment

Bah,i dont think your are going to miss shyt,shes going to run better than ever!

Comment

Originally posted by nickz View Post
                            Bah,i dont think your are going to miss shyt,shes going to run better than ever!
                            2nd this. Somewhere between the port, polish, 3 angle valve job, 10:1 pistons, the GTX head takes a back seat.

Comment

Got the head apart and down to the machine shop for cleaning. I'm pretty sure at least one of the valve guides is shot so that will have to be replaced. There might be some other stuff going on too with the crusty bits in the cam journal next to the disty.

Comment

Picked up the head today. Mike gave the valve guides his thumbs up and said the cam journals looked really good. I've been using the dremel to smooth out the casting marks in the ports. I'm also smoothing the surfaces of both intake and exhaust with 80 grit, and then 120. I'm also smoothing the bowl in the intake. I'm not taking off any real material, just smoothing. I am going to port match though.

Comment

Working...
                                X