My Head Hurts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm over here by Allen Web Mazda.
    I got some parts coming in the mail but I'm going to wait until I'm sure they fit before I post up numbers. The block will be done today but I still need to figure out how much head work to have done. If I get a valve grind, do I need to replace the valves too? How do I tell if I need new valve guides? Are these things cheap enough that I should do it even if they're not worn out?

Thanks for the offer of help. The hardest part of this rebuild is figuring out what parts I need and where to find them. The actual wrenching turning is pretty easy by comparison. I have a target goal picked out, so making sure everything I buy and do is consistent with that goal is what's important. This thread helps and I really appreciate the advice.
    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

I just lapped the valves and replaced the seals and had it shaved on the last head I did it works perfect. It all depends on the condition of your head.

Comment

its HIGHLY unlikely you'll need to replace the valve guides. they are not usually worn on the BP head.
        fresh valve guide seals, lap the valves in . add somender grooves & some mild port work, shave it & your golden.

did the block need to be bored??
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

If i was you, i would only get a valve grind if you plan to get +1mm valves. otherwise, hot tank the head & clean the valves- then just relapp them in.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

And you will save 200 + bones as well.

Comment

The block should be done by now. It's cleaned, visually inspected for cracks, and bored .020 over. I have 9.5:1 pistons coming, as well as rod bearings, main bearings, full gasket set, ARP head studs, fuel filter, oil filter. Napa is having a sale on synthetic Pennzoil right now so I'm going to use that for the break in period. Then I'm back to Mobile 1.

The bearings were just fine and didn't need to be replaced. They're relatively cheap though so it just made sense, and I'll replace the seals for the same reason. The head studs may be overkill, but it makes me feel better. I'd like to port the head but all I have is a Dremel and a few carbide bits.

I've never heard the phrase, "lap the valves". Looks like I've got some reading to do.

Comment

send me the head. i'll do some port work & relapping + valvetrain assembly.

Comment

If I can figure out how to get it to you cheap, then hell yea!
                  I'll even send you some naked pictures of my wife

Edit-lol, not really

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
                    I'll even send you some naked pictures of my wife

what kind of gloves will be in the background of the picture

Comment

Comment

holy :tits:

Comment

Why hero ther!
                          Mazda
                          1988 Black 323 GT
                          DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Block back from the machine shop, tanked, bored .020 over, then painted.
                            Flat surfaces cleaned with razor blade held at 90 degree angle.
                            Threads cleaned and oil squirters torqued down to 145 inch/pounds.
                            Bottom end ordered, save main seals. I'll get those tomorrow.
                            The fancy keeper extractor that I see used in the YouTube vids is almost $100! What kind of valve spring compressor do I need (can I use)?

Compressor fixed and tools purchased. Still need to have head shaved.
                            Have located the appropriate pages in the manual to show torque specs and assembly.

Realized car wash pressure washer only does a so/so job for parts washing.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 1st Gen; 04-12-2015, 11:09 PM.

Comment

F'in progress!!!

Comment

Nicely done! Reminds me of my B6T rebuild last year.
                                Mazda
                                1988 Black 323 GT
                                DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Comment

Working...
                                X