Massive oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive oil leak

i started my 1991 Protege (BP motor, 5-speed) after overhaul and it dumps oil and I can't locate the leak. It's almost like a hose is just wide open but I can't find anything like that. My fear is that it is the main seal on the transmission side but there is oil on top of the bell housing (pic). Any ideas?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1410.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1273055

disty seal?
    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

I though that but it isn't. It's right behind that area on the head but I don't think there are any oil connections there. I guess put more oil in it and have my son bump the motor without starting it to see if i can see anything. It's a huge leak so I don't think it will be too hard to see when it is in action...

Comment

Oil pressure sender?
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

That was one of the first things I thought but nice and clean and dry back there. It's almost like there is a plug missing from the head near the water pipe connection or a hose that wasn't connected - but I am not seeing that.

Comment

if it's coming down the side of the motor in that picture I'm pretty sure you've only got three options- disty seal, valve cover gasket, or head gasket.
            sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
            92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Maybe that allen bolt that goes in the rear of the side of the head.
              Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
              "Who Dey"

Comment

I was thinking that may be it. I haven't had time to do much more than look around with a flashlight but for the amount that it dumped in just a few seconds of running, it has to be something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by bomdoutscort View Post
                  Maybe that allen bolt that goes in the rear of the side of the head.
                  This (I say sheepishly). Should have checked all of that shiz when I reassembled the head. Gotta get a new plug (set screw but looks like a tapered thread?) Oh well, solved that anyway, on to the next issue...

Comment

Stupid question but, you're sure it's oil? It sure looks like oil, and I'm sure the dipstick tells the tale. It's just that there's a clutch fitting in that area too. If it's not the disty, not a head gasket (not sure why it would be), and not valve cover gasket, then??? What all was overhauled? Did any of that stuff come apart? If that allen head didn't come out, then I can't see it leaking.
                    1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                    1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                    2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                    1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

It was that set screw plug in the end of the head - 100% certain. I had my son bump the motor with the ignition coil disconnected until I saw where the oil was coming out and it was pouring out there. When I first started it, it ran for just a few seconds and I shut it off to go check under the hood and there was oil all over the place. It was completely overhauled so all the gaskets and seals are new. I'm going to get the plug today and fire it up again and see where else it leaks - hopefully no where...

Comment

No leaks (or leeks). Running. Other issue now is that it is burning oil (blue smoke). Hoping this is just that the rings haven't seated. I have only run it sitting in the garage so far.

Comment

Working...
                        X