Fixed broken reverse gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed broken reverse gear.

About six weeks ago I found this 1995 protege for sale on craigslist for $900. It has 200,000 miles but the interior is in great shape and all the body panels are straight. The engine purrs and the car is basically a winner, but the one thing I failed to check while test driving it prior to purchase was the reverse gear.

I bought it on the spot, drove it home, and parked it in my apartment parking lot for a few days while I got it licensed and insured. Of course the first thing I did when I got in the car is put it in reverse to back out of my parking space. I was greeted with a loud and ominous knocking coming from the bowels of the car. I'm no mechanic but I knew it was more than a flesh wound.

After a short diagnoses it became clear that it was a transmission issue, so was faced with three options. Pay for it to be fixed by a transmission shop, ignore it and hope my tranny doesn't suffer a catastrophic failure, or fix it myself. I opted for the last option even though the most sophisticated mechanical work I've done on an auto is an oil change.

I bought an air compressor, impact wrench, and other sundry items and did manage to fix the transmission. The reverse idle gear was missing three teeth. I bought the replacement part from Jim Ellis Mazda, who I recommend highly.

OEM Mazda parts from Jim Ellis Mazda Parts in Marietta, GA. Choose genuine Mazda parts for genuine Mazda performance.
    Attached Files

Congrats. Nice work on the repair
    91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Thank you! Doing such deep surgery has boosted my pride of ownership. The care feels more "mine" now.

Comment

nice find!! it looks very clean for its age!
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks! Yeah, it's pretty clean. Wind shield has a crack in it and the grill is cracked, but other than that she's straight. This little Mazda has to be the most unpretentious vehicle I've ever owned. It doesn't stand out, it has adequate power but it's not fast, and it corners fine but it's not sporty. It's just a Car, which is fine with me. I plan on keep it for as long as it holds together and taking proper care of it.

Comment

Working...
          X