Sp20 awd help!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sp20 awd help!!!!

looking for help from our non u.s. members. bj chasis awd in japan and other countries...what does the rear sub look like. is it similar to the bg rear sub frame or totally different. doing some research for a project. looking into to best set up. getting it done is not an issue. if anyone overseas has a pic of rear sub frame on an awd bj wagon or part print out from a dealer or something plz hit me up. been searching online for awhile now and cant find anything. i dont really have any contact to japan other then working for mazda. still very limited what we can see and get at mazda. i have relatives in japan but are distant and not car people. although they live in tokyo. never met them or spoken to them...like i said distant. only related by marriage. because my uncle is hitting that jdm ass.

I have a 4wd 2000 BJ Familia. The 4wd setup of driveshaft, rear diff & axles, gas tank was taken off by the previous owner when he went the fwd gearbox & bp-t engine swap route. The BJ 4wd backend is still there.

Here a some pix of how it look.

Here are some pix of the 4wd backend.

Comment

holy **** thats awesome. someone got back with actual photos. thank you so much. ha ha it looks exact same as the bg sub frame. hey bro you got a bent later link under there lol. thank you so much. means alot seriously. looks like rear suspension is bg style suspension also. so would be appropriate to use my bg set up with my bj 2000 familia project.

Comment

I got it with the lateral link bent. I'm guessing its from lowering the car on the coilover setup without adjusting the lateral links in accordance to the drop in height (I may be wrong though). When i intially saw the 4wd backend on the car I was sceptic at first if it was a genuine 4wd chassis of fwd chassis that was converted with a BG 4wd backend installed. Upon through inspection I saw that the bolts to bolt the driveshaft & tunnel was setup to facilitate both the driveshaft and exhaust. My doubts were eventaully dithered when I got a chance to look at another oem 4wd BJ chassis.

My future plans is to convert it back to 4wd with the Celica GT4 drivetrain with my refresh BPT engine from BPT swap BF 323 GT and put the stock BP-T into the BF 323 GT. I recently scored a set of GTR rods and if I can get a set of GTR pistons on the cheap I will install them into the BPT. If not on the cheap then I will get a set forged pistons to go with the GTR rods.

I have the 4agze gearbox with the 3s bellhousing installed, GT4 tranfer, Levin shifter & I have a template for the adapter plate. I'm currently seeking the axles (not cheap), driveshaft & a 4wd gas tank before I commence.
        Last edited by mazkam; 05-08-2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

even with bent links its awesome. we cant get those here. last one we could get was a 1991 protege. bg. which is what my awd stuff is from. sold the trans and scraped the drive shaft. thinking i could do a one piece shaft or at least two. three piece driveshaft seems excessive. i used to have a GTR motor. i moved to vancouver, wa from cincinnati, oh to work with corksport. i also work for a mazda dealer. even at my dealer we cant look up anything if not in the states market. i tried telling my parts guy that canada gets things we dont and he didnt believe me. thought we were considered the same market. been trying to convert my familia to awd for awhile. let me rephrase. i have had the idea for along time. i have had this awd rear sub and suspension for years. fabed it to fit an mx-3. well it was an experiment. the experiment failed or would of if i ever drove it. had adapter plates. this time corksport is helping. thinking of making brackets or just welding straight to the frame rails. fwd familia has the smaller exhaust well and no bolt holes for the awd sub. the front sub is different also. but there has been some success in making an mx-3 awd with out changing the front sub. has enough clearance. even when i had mine mounted i could see the pinion through the front with out issue of hitting top of car. just have a lower custom exhaust to make up the difference. i have heard of this gt4 conversion for alternative drivetrain. with some kind of adapter plate to the bp housing. popular enough you can buy everything. i know mazda drivetrain is alittle weak but i dont mix manufacturers. so would not do it on my familia or any other mazda i own. i drive mazda for a reason. if something is weak i would rather try and find a mazda alternative or figure away to strengthen the drivetrain or at worst case scenario dont run as much power. dont need a race demon as i only like to hit mountain roads sometimes. not go to the track really. so no need for a ton of power. just enough to be interesting and fun. which is less likely to break things. i am not rich. cant afford to be fixing things all the time. so i would rather run less horse and have an efficient fun spirited car. enough to stomp mustang gt's. move in and out of traffic quickly. not worry about getting on the highway or catching a light before it turns red. not even sure i want to turbo. last build i did was a mx-3 KLZE. that was enough power to be fun. maybe i could of done 15-20 more horse. but it was 210 or so. it was fun. best part durable, efficient other then having to run premium. due to KLZE in japan runs on 95 octane and we only have 93 here. now 92 is best you can get in washington. back in ohio you get up to 94. so i knocked timing down just enough not to ping or detonate. gtr rods will hold for your build. i was going to drop different pistons then gtr when i had one. compression ratio is 8.2:1. which is great for cylinder pressures which in turn can run higher boost. however it reduces torque down low. so i had some weisco 8.6:1 pistons i was going to put in. i just sold them to a guy at corksport for his miata build. they were moly coated and .0040 over bore. if i do run turbo im thinking bpt gtx not gtr. due to fact i need a tranny also since i sold my protege awd trans. but also due to 180 horse is plenty. maybe 200 but im good with that. thanks for the chat. trying to meet people in other countries and make contacts. i work part time for corksport while i also work at the mazda dealer like i said. i want to import parts for people on the side. i think i have made one contact in japan that specializes in mazda. been emailing them for past couple of days. see where it goes. thanks again for everything. sorry my message is so long. i talk alot. especially if its cars..well mazda. i love it. but then again so does everyone here...or at least hope so.
          Last edited by mx3gtr; 05-08-2015, 09:51 PM.

Comment

by the way is your famila awd 4 lug or 5. im trying to see if my awd rear hubs will fit my p5 knuckles. i also have all four gtr knuckles. which are five lug. prolly wont use the fronts due to ball joint differences with old ball joint size to new ball joint size. plus no benefit. i have a 5 lug conversion from a p5 to convert fronts. if awd rear hubs dont fit p5 knuckles i will just have to run the gtr rear knuckles which are bg. your rear awd sub is same as mine. so you have bg suspension. so maybe be better to run gtr rear. its just they are so beefy and heavy compared to p5 knuckles. dont really want to use unless i have to.

Comment

Working...
            X