Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed aftermarket radio- high mount brake light is out

2000 Protege ES
    Had to remove the rear deck to get new speakers in- bought a new harness for Pioneer p4800 to replace fried OEM radio.
    1. Had to wire both the pink/black and red wire (mazda) to the red wire (pioneer) to get the radio to fire. Ground is solid to chassis from radio.
    2. Removed the rear deck carefully, removed Center Brake Light and wiring clip, replaced speakers, replaced clip and tested- no center brake light. Trunk light works, everything else works-

How does on remove the CBL bulb to check? Doubt I blew it, but want to check the bulb and that CBL housing looks puzzling to dis-assemble.
    Any ideas why the CBL might stop working after installing an aftermarket radio?

Thanks for any help.
    Defeat may test you; it need not stop you. If at first you don't succeed, try another hammer.

Memory serves, you access that bulb through the trunk. The bulb should be pointed up vertically through the rear deck; you should just need to twist the connector to get at the bulb. It's possible that this is just a coincidence; I have no idea why the radio install would have done anything wiring-wise to effect the CHMSL. Only thing I can think of is you may have damaged the wiring to it when you reinstalled it somehow.
    1995 626: daily beater, mostly stock. Future NASA racer?

Next up: Speed6 or RX-8

Comment

Thank for the reply. I got to mine via rear deck- 4 plastic clips holding it in. Getting it out was delicate- see before and after. The red plastic is stiff and will break easily. I fried the light while wiring the radio somehow- rookie.
      The car is as tough as pig iron- best first car for teenager son. Anyone got any ideas of hauling surf rods on this car? Can I put a martin hitch on it? Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0904.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1241146

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1241147
      Last edited by 9918939; 06-11-2015, 12:09 PM.
      Defeat may test you; it need not stop you. If at first you don't succeed, try another hammer.

Comment

Working...
      X