No announcement yet.

Red Bull 323

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banished! We had a huge conference/training event here this past week. We were going to be short on parking space so the 323 was banished to the exhaust shop for a new muffler. I used my phone to record the decibels on the way over. It was over 94 db, in the car. While it would have sounded great driving though the paddock at Road America, not the best for driving through small towns with large police forces at midnight. I heard back from the exhaust shop, it has a new Thrush turbo muffler and they added a rensator to drop the volume. They said it was not as quiet as stock but it should work. I was going to pick it up yesterday, but then the said they could fix up the intercooler piping for a few bucks more. So, it's a job that needed to get done, and they already had the car, so it can sit over there for a few more days.

Comment

please post some before/after pictures of all the work
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

injectors

Got the car back from the exhaust shop. No one will mistake it for a stock 323, but I shouldn't get pulled over every night either. The next step was to check out the injectors. I was surprised to see that they where high impendence (14 ohms) and high flow (550 cc/hr). I didn't think Denso make that combination, guess you learn something new everyday. The flow was so high, that exceed the capacity of our injector bench. I'll have to rerun the tests tonight at a lower pressure and then correct to 3 Bar. Click image for larger version

Name:	GTR-137ML-0563.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	1241349Click image for larger version

Name:	injectorRail562.jpg
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	1241350
        Last edited by Rivet; 07-29-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Here a pic of the injectors about to overflow the bench (about 10 seconds into the test) and a set of stock 08 Focus (20 lb/hr) injectors for comparsion.Click image for larger version

Name:	GTRinjectors 0567.jpg
Size:	298.7 KB
ID:	1241351Click image for larger version

Name:	08FocusInjectorsG0561.jpg
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	1241352

Comment

over flow. This was a 15 second test at 3 Bar.
            Attached Files

Comment

It finally time to stop messing around and do some work. The heater core and duct work need to go back in and I need to clean up the wiring some.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0577.jpg
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	1241365Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0579.jpg
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	1241366

Comment

Dude u gotta admit it's weird seeing the car tore apart by someone else lol
                sigpic

Comment

Are those coil packs on the plugs? Later model application that has been retro-fitted? What goes?
                  1990 Mazda Protege LX, owned since new

Comment

COP for the BPT! The car came that way. Work was done by M323GTR and MD323. They did a nice job. It's run by a MS3.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	injector harness0624.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1241379

Made a new injector harness last night. I re-pined the 8 pin harness connector. The bottom row has three wires for temp sensors and the injector power wire. Above the power wire is injector #1/A and then follow in the firing order across (1-3-4-2). I should have done a better job of wrapping the harness, but it should get the job done.

Does any have a source for the terminals? I modified some GM mirco pack connectors; they'll work, but I'd rather have the correct terminals. I still have to wire up the other side of the connector. I'm going back to using original (used) terminals soldered to new wire. I sort of don't like it, but that what the Ford wiring repair manual calls for (they just sell the connector and pigtail) and it probably better than making the wrong terminal work.

Comment

I have a link for the terminals at home but if you search miataturbo there is a list of suppliers
                        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

if you can post that link, that would be great. I looked around on miataturbo, and didn't find them. Fab9Tuning, offered a 6-pin connecter with the terminals, but only one side (female, I think).
                          Speaking of small parts, I purchased some 6x1.0 flange bolts and nuts from Fastenal. They don't match the Mazda nuts and bolts exactly, but they are close (and a lot cheaper). I hate the way plain hardware store bolts look, plus they are usually are an 11 mm hex; which just seems wrong on a Mazda.

6mm X 1.0 x 10 mm are PN 11115608 and the nuts (black in color) are PN 11509219. The bolts are a special order item and list at $0.47 ea. the nuts were in stock locally and list at $0.72 ea.

Comment

if you can post that link, that would be great. I looked around on miataturbo, and didn't find them. Fab9Tuning, offered a 6-pin connecter with the terminals, but only one side (female, I think).
                            Speaking of small parts, I purchased some 6x1.0 flange bolts and nuts from Fastenal. They don't match the Mazda nuts and bolts exactly, but they are close (and a lot cheaper). I hate the way plain hardware store bolts look, plus they are usually are an 11 mm hex; which just seems wrong on a Mazda.

6mm X 1.0 x 10 mm are PN 11115608 and the nuts (black in color) are PN 11509219. The bolts are a special order item and list at $0.47 ea. the nuts were in stock locally and list at $0.72 ea.

Comment

Name:	antannaCover0643.jpg
Size:	275.0 KB
ID:	1241385I deleted the antenna (no radio) and didn't even try to find a factory antenna delete plate (I think I've only seen 1 or 2; when they where new), so I made one from carbon fiber.

Comment

Name:	backofDash0647.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1241386

Redoing the duct work. This was no fun, as I didn't take it apart and had to figure out where things went.Click image for larger version

Name:	dashassembly0646.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1241387

Comment

Working...
                                X