Red Bull 323

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rivet View Post
    I've been off work (scheduled) and the car's been hibernating for the winter. I dropped it off at the local body shop to get a check on the straightness of the "frame". I was concerned because the panel fit is less than ideal, I had 2 folks tell me the car dog-tracked badly (but drove fine) and it appears that at some point in the past the left rear quarter panel had some body work done. I didn't want to spend hours trying to adjust the doors if the body was bent. The body guy finally got into the shop yesterday and the body gets a clean bill of health, it is as straight as straight can be. The issue appears to be the rear trailing arms. I haven't looked at them, but it seems like good enough reason to upgrade to the Pierce's. Next stop: the alignment rack.

For the past 2 weeks, whenever we'd drive past the body shop, I'd say "look at that really cool car"; The response "What, that Camaro!" No respect, even at home; but in their defense it was parked next to to a ZL1
    The ZL1 is hot sauce though!!!
    Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
    "Who Dey"

Comment

I've never been a big fan of the 323; don't get me wrong the BG chassis is outstanding, it just the mx3 and protégé are better looking. The big selling point of this 323 was the GTR engine and I really wanted the engine for my 4wd protégé. Well, this little car is really growing on me, but I was not sure what to do with it once I pulled the engine. Craigslist has solved my problem; I found a MX3 GS parts car, so there will be a KL in the car's future. I really don't need a mx3 right now, but when I am ready to do a KL swap the odds of finding a dirt cheap MX3 is really unlikely. As a bonus, the current owner is going to deliver the car. What could go wrong? Hopefully next week I'll be post pics of the new car and not a tale of woe.

Comment

wait youre tearing the motor out?
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

eventually. I'm really using the 323 as a tuning platform. Now keep in mind this is mostly talk and an excuse to collect more parts and nothing is happening anytime soon. I getting ready to dump a ton of $$$ in the 323: new fuel rail & lines, flex fuel sensor, awr trailing arms, Pierce rear control arms, mx3 sway bar, SS brake lines. Plus, I still need to schedule dyno time.

Comment

So the parts car arrived this morning. It came from Cameron at Young & Fearless Racing. Here's a reason to live out in the country; this will not bother the neighbors: how many of you "city folks" could get away with some thing like this.Click image for larger version

Name:	mx3-RTint_9784.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	1241981Click image for larger version

Name:	MX3-rt_9779.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	1241982Click image for larger version

Name:	mx3-LT34_9783.jpg
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	1241983Click image for larger version

Name:	MX3-k8B_9781.jpg
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	1241984Click image for larger version

Name:	MX3-K8_9780.jpg
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	1241985Click image for larger version

Name:	mx3 frt-9782.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	1241986

Comment

Installed the rear set from the MX3 into the 323. It fits, but the seat back sticks out a bit. My girls tried it out and they say this seat is more comfortable. As a bonus the trunk carpet fits and is in much better shape than the one I had. The lower seat mounts are different. I still need to change them over, but that's a project for another day.Click image for larger version

Name:	MX323-rearseat_9797.jpg
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	1242009Click image for larger version

Name:	MX323-trunkcarpet_9798.jpg
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	1242008

Comment

The car has been terrifying to drive in the wet, felt like the a wheel was loose and the back end wanted to come around. Turns out the rear tires had become slicks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	323tires0799.jpg
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1242078Click image for larger version

Name:	323tires-0800.jpg
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1242079Click image for larger version

Name:	323RR-0789.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1242083

Turns out the rear alignment was out. The car drove straight and you could drive it "hands off" with just a slight pull with the crown of the road. I'm guessing the last guy to align it, did a "trust angle" alignment on the front wheel, like it was a truck. (if it's not obvious, the needles are supposed to be straight up)

Name:	323align-rearnumbers0803.jpg
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1242080Click image for larger version

Name:	323align-0804.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1242081Click image for larger version

Name:	323onRack0805.jpg
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	1242082

Look at how far the rear link is adjusted to the one side (the "nut" is usually near the middle). I've got the rear wheels pointed "staighter" ahead, but I could not get everything in spec. There must be some bent parts in there. I'm ordering up some AWR training arms and Pierce's rally arms next paycheck. That should do it.

Name:	323rearlink-0794.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1242084

I also have a small gas leak that will need attention soon.

Name:	323gaslines0795.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1242077

Comment

curious what you think of the AWR rear arm links when you get em... they've been on my list for awhile now
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Will do, but it might be a bit longer than I had planned. There's been a bit of a shake up at work...to soon to tell how things will sort out, but I might have more free time on my hands than I had planned.

Comment

BTW i keep forgetting to tell you i have a weighted shift knob (actually a couple of em) if you are still looking for one.

Comment

Yes, I do need one. The 323 came with a billiard ball, so I had to steal the shift knob from the Pro. Are you going to buy the a-pillar covers from Tony? If so, I told him to hold the set I bought and ship both sets together to save a few bucks. I figure we're close enough for the deal to work out for everybody, provided you're still living in the Madison area. Are you interested in a trade or do you want $$$

Comment

****, if you swing on by, you can just have it.
                          not sure if i'll be getting the pillar trims, im working on too many other projects atm.

Comment

if there's a set available that one of you don't want, let me know the details, I'd like to get some.

Comment

M323GTR has 2 sets; I've purchased 1 set and ryan was interested in the second. He's holding my set so he can ship both together and save a few $$ on shipping. We have a place in the dells, so we go through Baraboo fairly often. If you want the same deal, we can work it out fairly easy.

Comment

sarge go ahead and grab em from m323GTR

Comment

Working...
                                X