No announcement yet.

Red Bull 323

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took the first step in getting the rear suspension sorted out. I just ordered a set of rear control arms from Pierce. If all goes well, I should be able to order new trailing arms next paycheck, if things go really well all of the parts should arrive at about the same time. Turns out I have a rear strut that going bad, not sure what I'm going to replace it with. I'd love a set of coilovers, but that is just not in the budget at this time.

Comment

My rear control arms are done and in the mail. So now I need to decide: paint or power-coat? and then what color? any suggestions?

Comment

**** thanks for the reminder I need to pay for mine still.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

my rear lateral links from pierce came in last week. Very nice. unfortunately, there was a hang-up with one of his suppliers and I only have 4 of the rod ends. Jim says they will be on their way as soon as he gets them in. I'm taking the rods to the power-coater on my way into work today, so the delay on the rod ends is no big deal.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	RLLraw_0400.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	1243768

Comment

is it just a nut welded to the end of the pipe? or is it actually a threaded insert?
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I didn't look that close and when they come back from the power-coater you'll will not be able to see, but here's what I think: The treads are cut into the the tube and go fairly deep, you could probably thread the rod-end all of the way in. The hex part likely has an ID the same as the OD of the tube and is slipped over the top, welded both sides and then the outboard end is ground/machined flush. It doesn't have the look/feel of a nut welded to the end of a tube and it's not an insert.

Comment

Nice!! If your stuff just came in, then mine should be arriving soon as well! He's probably waiting on the rod-ends.

Also, where do you take stuff for powder coating?

--sarge

Comment

There was a problem with the rod-ends, not only was the shipment delayed, when it came in they where the wrong size. I have a customer's car that has to be done before I start on mine, plus I need to order other rear suspension parts, so the delay is no big deal for me. I told the power-coater the same thing. So, I'm looking at 10 to 15 days before they'll be done. I picked this crazy purple metal flake color and they have to special order it. I probably could have had them in a few days if I went with a color they had in stock, but I don't have the cash to pay for it right now, so why not wait an extra week. Anyways, I'm using Motorsports Powercoating in Delavan; they do great work, don't charge extra for crazy colors and don't mind small parts. Probably a bit further than you'd want to drive, but if you can't find anyone close to you and are not in a rush: we're in the dells fairly often and Motorsports can be on my drive to work. Speaking of the dells, going to automation?
                  Last edited by Rivet; 05-09-2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

I'm going to try to get to automotion this year, but it's just become worse and worse the last few.

I actually drive to Delavan on occasion, to pick up race rubber take-offs from a guy, but I haven't been there in a couple years. I think there might actually be some local guys starting a coating business, I might also check them out.

Comment

i avoid automotion. its a plague and dangerously over policed.

Comment

Actual Automotion is the good car show in the Noah's Ark parking lot. some fantastic cars, fun to look at them. funnel cakes are tasty too.

Recently, the owner of the Mt. Olympus has started a show in his back lot also, last couple of years $5 gets you admission to the show, as well as a wristband for the park for the day. so all the roller coasters and go-karts you want , plus the carshow, for super cheap. And the cars there are pretty sweet too, and they have some contests.. burnout contest, db drag, hydraulics, and even a wet-t apparently.

The thing that ruins the weekend : hicks and douchebag pricks who get drunk and wreck the place because of their small penises. burnouts on the street? used to be fine, until some rowdy punks threw trash at the cops. BOOM, ruined it for everyone. free parking at Mt. Olympus to watch the sweet cars go by? Drunk ****ers leaving broken bottles everywhere, throwing bottles through a buddy's Viper windshield, and then doing the same thing to the Mt. Olympus owners' Ventador. BOOM, shut down, and now there's a fence. too bad, because he was a cool guy, and a car guy, doing burnouts and donuts in his Ventador in his parking lot.

This is why we can't have nice things. HUGE amount of duchebags rolling coal at people on the sidewalk, and dumb****s doing burnouts right into the back of showcars. sucks. If you can stand the bull****, though, you can generally see some neat cars.

We used to be able to find a few candidates, then organize some UN-sanctioned Supervised Acceleration Trials out on a nice piece of straight road. Till a bunch of ****wits decided to come and watch, and all parked and waited, with their lights on and music pumping, right outside of the outdoor movie theater. cops called, ended the possibility of some sweet night-time trials.

--sarge

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                          is it just a nut welded to the end of the pipe? or is it actually a threaded insert?
                          From what I can see by the ones that I just got, the rear links, with the swaybar mounting ears, are threaded internally. The front links have a nut welded to them. I didn't look inside the nut to see if the threads were also inside the tube, I might remember to check later on.

--sarge

Comment

Update: We've moved to Florida; just in time for the Hurricane. The redbull surrived just fine, a fence fell over on it, but no damage. I had the car moved down here over a year ago. The new house is just a mound of dirt right now., about 8 months or so before it's done. Then we can start on the shop; I bought a 30x80 steel building from Big Buildings Direct. I won't be able to touch the car til that's done. It will probaly need complete rework, by then - but that's the fun - rebuild it better.

Comment

Glad it survived. How did everything else do?
                              1990 Protege 4WD
                              GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                              ├┼┤
                              2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Working...
                              X