Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JDM 4WD trans 5th gear cover reaseal in vehicle? Taller 5th gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JDM 4WD trans 5th gear cover reaseal in vehicle? Taller 5th gear?

Has anyone resealed the stamped black metal cover over the 5th gear sets on a J Spec 4wd transmission in car? It looks like a tight squeeze, but mines leaking and really don't want to remove the whole thing just to reseal it.
    Also, is there any 5th gear sets that are taller (like the 626 gear sets for the BF G series transmissions) that drop into these boxes?
    Mazda
    1988 Black 323 GT
    DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

2013 Velocity Red Mica Mazdaspeed3

Take it off and seal it. No big deal there. Yes .717 and .755 gears drop in.

Comment

Dmnit, this was supposed to be in BG. Not BF, sorry. This is in a 4wd Protégé with a GTX drivetrain (BPT) Does the post above still apply Clay?
      Mazda
      1988 Black 323 GT
      DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Partly....your tranny already has the .717 gears in it...pull the pan and reseal it.

Comment

Odd. The gearing to MPH to RPM ratio seems closer to the BF GTX trans. With the gears I got from you a few years back for my GT, I was sitting around 6900 RPM at 70 MPH. This one Im hovering 72-7300RPM at 70...
          Mazda
          1988 Black 323 GT
          DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

6900 at 70???? Maybe 3900 rpm. When you take the cover off you will see for sure what is in there.

Comment

I legitimately laughed aloud thinking of hitting 70mph at 7.3k in 5th.
              That's almost second gear sizing.
              Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
              kitty, you are a hilarious woman
              Originally posted by HopelessCow
              there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
              Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

hahahaha!!!! OMG, I cant believed I typed that! Sorry, meant 2900-3200 rpm. :D :lol:
                Mazda
                1988 Black 323 GT
                DOHC 16 VALVE TURBO

Comment

Anyone else wanting the 1:717 5th gear.... the capri is a pretty common one u can pull the cover on the car and swap the gears pretty easy...and saves about 500 rpm from the stock mazda 323 gtx gears (if i remember correctly)
                  Last edited by monstergtx; 08-29-2015, 11:00 PM. Reason: auto correct

Comment

Monster those two trannies have the same 5th gear set.

Comment

Working...
                    X