Stock Radio Stays On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Radio Stays On

I just bought my second 2003 Mazda Protege5 so I am slowly going through the issue of buying a used vehicle and try to work out a few problems. However I am stuck on this issue.

The radio wasn't working at, didn't think it was a big deal. But the first night I went to drive it I noticed the dome lights weren't coming on either. I read a few other posts and found a couple people with the same problem but I didn't see that they came to a conclusion or fix.

I pulled every fuse under the drivers side dash and replaced them all. What do you know the interior lights and radio started working. The 10A ROOM was blown. I thought I had fixed the problem but after turning the ignition off the radio still stays on. I can turn the power off but the clock stays on. My other Mazda Protege5 doesn't do this.

What's my next step? I was going to swap the ignition switch with my other vehicle to see if it makes a difference or not and will post my results. The vehicle also had an after market keyless entry/alarm system so to be safe i removed it all just to see if something was interfering and no such luck, the radio is always on.

Just an update. I changed the ignition switch and no luck. I noticed the seat belt warning light was on as well so I started chasing down the wiring harness that goes under the drivers seat for the seat belts. I found a burnt wire there. So I chased that wire all the way into the harness that runs next to the drivers seat only to find most of that harness was toasted as well. I then followed that all the way past the back seat and into the trunk area to a harness that just ended. It looks like some kind of stereo/subwoofer option or something? Anyhow that whole harness was burnt as well. The only thing that actually looked somewhat important was the trigger switch for the read drivers side door. I ended up chasing all the wires towards the fuse box and cut them off where they were no longer burnt which was right in front of the drivers seat. I capped them all of and every thing is now working. Does any know what this harness was used for? Next time I visit the junk yard I am going to pull this section from another vehicle.
    photo (1).jpg

Comment

Working...
    X