This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Windshield Washer Sensor? Here's Your Fix

Hi All - With our cars approaching their 30th birthday (!), we all know that many replacement parts are NLA and these parts are certainly ending the end of their life cycle - something we can all relate to and can certainly make ownership frustrating.

One thing that grinds my gears is when I can't fix something that is broken. Point and case is the leaking windshield washer bottle due to a deteriorated grommet for the level sensor. Interestingly, we are very fortunate that our cars have this feature, many new car today don't even have this feature, so its a shame to not have it working due to a simple grommet failure.

I recently spent a half day at the scrap yard and pulled about 6-7 different fluid level indicators from various cars (I certainly got some "funny looks" as I had them spread over the hood of a crashed Acura!). After measurement and evaluation, the '13-'14 Mazda CX5 is a perfect sized replacement (part number shown below) and the early 2000s Maxima is a decent substitute, but is a little larger in diameter and would require making the hole in the bottle reservoir larger to accommodate it.

If your actual sensor has gone bad, it is a sealed unit that cannot be repaired or fixed and I noticed that the unit out of a late '80s or early '90s 626 will work perfectly.

Hope this helps.

My best,
    Yasin
    Last edited by slownrusty; 10-02-2016, 05:43 AM.

awesome find!!! i modded my old 323 washer reservoir to fit the lx unit. (luckily i never had issues with it leaking)
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Neither of mine are leaking yet but thanks Yasin. Sticky this sucker.

Comment

Glad to help out my friends and community.
        Thanks for making this a sticky.
        Yasin

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to patiently go through each one until you got positive results Rusty!

'88 GT
          '88 GTX
          '85 Toyota Cressida 5-Speed
          '88 323 GT
          '88 323 GTX

Comment

No problem! Glad to be of assistance to the community.

Comment

I have the whole bottle with switch and motor, though the retention tab on the lid is broken. It works fine.

Comment

Price?

Comment

Working...
                X