No announcement yet.

Taking apart oil filters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certainly the Mazda OEM filter is of the highest quality and one can't go wrong using it with complete confidence. The reason I switched to Mobil 1 is because it uses a synthetic filter media which supposedly is superior to the more common paper types. I don't know how significant the difference is but on the theory that every little bit helps I decided to make the change.

Mobil 1 M1-110 is the one I use.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by Rivet View Post
      Check this out: http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm it was done a while ago and on Ford V8 filters. I thought it was interesting. Notice that there does not seem to be a correlation between cartridge length and element surface area. How about this: as we do our normal oil changes, lets cut the filters apart, take some measurements and see what is what. I've been a firm believer in using the OE filter. thinking it is a superior filter, perhaps it is not. Honestly, my opinion is based on only my belief that Mazda will only sell me the best quality part; not on any real fact.
      You're just supporting my point more.

The good quality filters were 80-100in long by 4in wide, while fram ****(and re-badges) were 47in long by 4in wide. But even the rubbish ones were the same width, or as I refer it height. Which means a taller(wide by his wordage) filter even if the worst quality would have a filter media as wide as the cartridge permits.

There is no reason not to think there would be a sizable bump in filtration media in the larger filters from a good manufacture.

Also I'm not sure what to think of the ac declo filter in the comparison. It's only 70in by 4.5in. It has a longer canister size, and they do use a longer filter media to take advantage of it which gives it really good surface area but it would blow the doors off the other filters if they'd just give it the 80-90 the other filters have. That would probably take it out of the $3 bracket though.
      Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
      kitty, you are a hilarious woman
      Originally posted by HopelessCow
      there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
      Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Working...
      X