SVMLegacy's Worklog ('97 Protege SE)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SVMLegacy's Worklog ('97 Protege SE)

Hi all, I'll be posting thing things I work on here on my '97 SE (Canadian base model, 1.5L)

It hasn't needed too much in the past, but here's what I can think of that I've done in the past (Besides normal maintenance, of course!)

Headlight bulbs
    Wiper Transmission
    FL Wheel bearing
    Windshield Washer Pump (Three Times. Napa Part failed twice on me, both within a year.)
    LF Caliper
    RR Piston

Just today, I tackled my P0455 that's been looming over me for the past two years of ownership. Here was the method of my madness.

After replacing the fuel cap, I started by inspecting the venting system, Living in a rust belt has taught me wheel wells get hit hard by road grime and salt. Low and behold, the CDCV (Located behind the plastic cover in LR wheel well) was completely rotted out. Plastic body had pulled from the metal solenoid. After finding the solenoid was still moving, I managed to JB-Weld it back together, and it works! Re-installed.

Still the code persisted.

The details of what I did after that are fuzzy, but I eventually inspected the metal lines near filler neck, also rusted, and had cracked. Repaired with fuel line and silicone sealer over the cracked portion. Despite these efforts; code persisted.

Then, I pinched the vent line, and inevitably forgot I did that.

Interesting things happened; When the tank was first filled; code would not be set until the tank level dropped to 75%. Then, it would set the code once. Next time it ran, code clears, until next fill. When it would be filled, A noticeable hiss came from the fuel cap.

This told me a few things:

1. There is no evap leak on tank side (It held a constant vacuum until fill)

3. Vacuum could reach the tank pressure sensor.

2. The system only runs an evap check when the tank when the tank is 25-75% filled, and ambient temp had something to do with it (When it was really cold it wouldn't check!)

Once I also applied slight pressure to the system from the CDCV, and it held pressure for ~20 minutes before I released it. So both sides held pressure, and vacuum could reach my sensor. So it had to be the joint between the sides.

The Tank Pressure Control Valve (TPCV)
    (It's located on the rear of the tank; jack the rear to drop the suspension out of the way, you'll see it.)

It's essentially a small check valve one way, and a solenoid to control the other. If the solenoid wasn't working, my tank would be able to draw in air through the check valve (To prevent implosion, and preventing my "hiss" when I open the cap), and the system wouldn't have enough vacuum to pull through the solenoid (It allows air over a certain pressure through, to allow expansion the charcoal canister can't account for)

To test my theory, I removed the lines from the TPCV, and used two barb fittings and a coupling, to bypass the solenoid altogether. Was running short of time, so I didn't test the TPCV itself today.

After doing this, the code didn't set on about an hour long run! (It should have ran an evap check)

Now, what's the job of the TPCV? Why was it put there? Long story short; to prevent excessive fumes from escaping from the tank; while allowing it to vent, and pull a vacuum to check integrity of tank.

I may take a look at it sometime in the future, it looked in decent shape when I pulled it off (Could have been a dirty connection, by all means), But I'm very happy with this improvement.

Next up; tackling that Fuel Filter (And it seems nasty!)

P.S. I'll probably take picture from now on for you guys. Makes it look much better than a wall of text.
    Rust is the enemy

Glad I haven't had that problem with my cars, doesn't sound fun at all.

I replaced the fuel filter on my '98 a few years ago. It's not in a very convenient location.

Comment

I'm lucky I don't have to do E-testing where I'm at. It's been a ride. I'm not calling it fixed yet, either; but there's a chance it is (Usually it throws me a curveball every time I think I have it fixed; Last time I thought I had it; the CEL came back on the same ride my wiper transmission popped. Lol, I'll have to do some searching, because I'm sure I'm not the only one who's popped that linkage, not much holds that ball joint on once it starts to wear. (Also, if anyone's interested, the next generation's wiper transmission is identical to mine. (Think it came from an '02, but don't quote me on that.)
      Rust is the enemy

Comment

Originally posted by irishkev90 View Post
        Glad I haven't had that problem with my cars, doesn't sound fun at all.

I aggree!! But well done!
        I hope I don't have any of thows issues!

How often should the filter be replaced anyway? (And how do you know it's bad before looking at it)

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by farcryNZ View Post
          How often should the filter be replaced anyway? (And how do you know it's bad before looking at it)
          My owners manual lists it for every 48'000 km's or 30 months, whichever comes first; but I'm doing mine because I've no idea when it was last done (And if; I've just rolled 110'000 km's.) If a fuel filter were really bad; it'd impede top end performance; But I like to treat it as a filter; a mechanical fuse. (Also, I'll be replacing with a MANN filter; they're on clearance at RockAuto right now; pretty cheap). Considering there's visible rust on my filter; and I know it hasn't been done in at least two and a half years; I figured it's due.

In other news; I installed a new air freshener today! (Big news, I know...)
          Rust is the enemy

Comment

Ah yeah? ......that's quite a few filter changes for the life of the car.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think I'd bother changing against the time schedule, It does seem excessive; unless there's visible problems on it. (Mine is rusty.) It's too bad I wasn't able to tackle it before I left for university. I had a sudden change of events that lead to another project car; an '05 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon; which is to replace my Mazda. Now, my Mazda isn't leaving the family; just being given to my brother to learn on. So long story short, I'll probably still work on it;

IN OTHER NEWS:

CEL P0455 is back. Time to put the thinking cap on.

**Editing so I don't bump the Thread**

After the sudden change in events, my '97 Protege is off the road; sitting idle for my brother to learn with when he gets his license. I'm now driving the aforementioned '05 Legacy, (And having Cruise is nice, especially for running the 401...) Probably won't have anything to post here until next summer when I'm back in the car's area.
              Last edited by svmlegacy; 10-17-2015, 04:49 PM. Reason: Update.
              Rust is the enemy

Comment

Well, it's summertime, and the old Protege is back on the road.

After finding that something was rattling in the back, I found my old patches on the Evap lines had rotted apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160705_152045596.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	1242309

So today, I cut the rotted sections out, and put in rubber line.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160705_155254714.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	1242310

End result? After a few drives today, the P0455 is gone! Interestingly enough; the old patches seemed like they closed off the whole pipe; with only a small amount of area for the vapour to travel, easily explaining the persistence of the code. (If vacuum doesn't occur in the tank, the pressure sensor detects it as a leak)

I've also returned to lines onto the TPCV, and painted up some of the undercarriage with rubberized rocker guard, in hope of calming the rust. Would it be useful for anyone if I had posted a picture/video of where the TPCV, CDCV, and MAP sensor is in the evap system? I really discovered them by chance.
                Rust is the enemy

Comment

Working...
                X