No announcement yet.

Need help. Front right axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its not that fancy of a rotor system, 94-97 Honda Accords had a similar 'captured' rotor, as well as quite a few random Japanese cars from various years, so any decently regarded Japanese/import shop should be able to do them. I've never run shims/spacers other than the ones that were in the hub from the factory, and preload always seemed within range. Timken bearings are really tight in terms of their QC tolerances, I've never seen more than a thou in height from set after set, year after year. You probably are okay if the shim matches the range of shim sizes in the service manual.

edit: I always put the knuckle in the oven and bearings outer races in the freezer, they go together so easily then. Same with the inner bearings (oven), and hub (freezer). I've actually used a vice with enough temperature differential!

Comment

Originally posted by djcommie View Post
      Its not that fancy of a rotor system, 94-97 Honda Accords had a similar 'captured' rotor, as well as quite a few random Japanese cars from various years, so any decently regarded Japanese/import shop should be able to do them. I've never run shims/spacers other than the ones that were in the hub from the factory, and preload always seemed within range. Timken bearings are really tight in terms of their QC tolerances, I've never seen more than a thou in height from set after set, year after year. You probably are okay if the shim matches the range of shim sizes in the service manual.

edit: I always put the knuckle in the oven and bearings outer races in the freezer, they go together so easily then. Same with the inner bearings (oven), and hub (freezer). I've actually used a vice with enough temperature differential!
      How did you pack a hot bearing?That sounds painful and messier than it already is.I dont get it.

Comment

I just did both my front hubs. Mike at the machine shop charged me $90 for the pair. That's a lot of money for no more than was done, but what I get is confidence that it was put in right. When he handed the hubs back to me, I knew I didn't have to worry about them any more.
        1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
        1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
        2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
        1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Originally posted by nickz View Post
          How did you pack a hot bearing?That sounds painful and messier than it already is.I dont get it.
          Yeah it does. I just drive the race in with a punch, check and set the preload with the tool and then press the things together after I pack the bearings..painless.

Comment

Originally posted by 1st Gen View Post
            I just did both my front hubs. Mike at the machine shop charged me $90 for the pair. That's a lot of money for no more than was done, but what I get is confidence that it was put in right. When he handed the hubs back to me, I knew I didn't have to worry about them any more.
            That's how I've done it in the past: Pay someone else to do it. I'd do it again if I needed the car back on the road ASAP (BTW, keep a spare set of bearings, seals, axle nuts, and hardware in your inventory).

This last time I replaced all the bearings was for the rear brake conversion, and I did it myself. Not too bad if you have all the tools and a lift, which had access to, BUT: I sure as hell wasn't going to do it if I didn't have those resources.
            Since I don't drive the GTX too much, I do not yet know if my bearing job will last a long time or not. *knock on wood*

Comment

Does anyone have an info on how to do this myself. like torque numbers for the hub so this doesn't happen again?

Comment

Download the Factory Service Manual. The procedures and torque specs are in there. Enjoy!

Comment

Thank you all the owner will be very happy

Comment

Well I went to try and help the owner and I was concerned with how hot the hub may have gotten as you can see it got got. Looking like it needs a new hub a

Last edited by aportis72; 02-09-2016, 01:27 PM.

Comment

If you have not replaced the bearings in this corner I would replace the hub..looks like the new one will need to be turned down to fit the rotor.

Comment

Just me but I would go through the whole deal regardless...just so I know it is all right.

Comment

All done get some new stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

92 GT GTX Autox machine Dead and gone

98 ZX2 Currently rusty Need a new car

Comment

Working...
                          X