Removing security system / interlock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing security system / interlock

I bought my first Mazda 2 weeks ago to use as a winter car from a dealership that took it on trade for $300. The 2002 Protege LX looked to have had a light deer strike with a bent hood, Missing drivers power mirror, various dents, and the previous owner removed the radio. The thing drove great and was extremely quiet. It feels like it has a new clutch. The only issue was that the heater would not go from cold to hot and the front bearings were shot. I replaced the mirror with a like new manual one and put a different hood on it from a junk yard. I drove it a little bit back and forth fixed the heater controls and had the EGR mess up after de greasing the engine.

Yesterday I replaced the EGR with a new one. All done with the install I reinstalled the battery cables and turned the key and found out about the interlock on this thing. I towed it to Borgman Ford/Mazda that was a great help in showing me where the button was free of charge and I was on my way.

The car was then took to a shop to have the bearings replaced. In the parking lot the interlock went off and I needed to show the tech where it was so they would know how to move the thing. The bearing repair turned up that the axle needed to be replaced also. That is happening Monday and I am having someone drive the car back to my house. Once again I needed to mention the Embarrassing condition of this security system.

When searching I have seen a few mentions of "ripping it out" or disconnecting something. The car never had any starting issues until I removed the battery terminals.

I have found this post this morning and will see if there is a switch somewhere once I get to play with the car on Tuesday

If there is something I can remove, unplug, or even replace to make sure my butt does not need to get under the dash in -20 degree weather this winter I want it done within as soon as possible.

If needed I will move the interlock override switch to a easier to reach position. It is not a fix though and I would prefer to fix it or disconnect it right.

Thanks for any Help.

OK, I figured it out.
    I turned down the sensitivity then began playing with it with the horn still disconnected.

If I shut off the car and get out leaving it unlocked it will not arm.

If I get out of the car and use the door panel lock it will not arm.

If I get out and use the key lock on the outside of the car it will arm.

Bump it and it beeps/flashes once. Bump it multiple times and it goes nuts.

So, as long as I never lock this thing with the key this won't run down my battery or annoy the neighbors.

Now on to replacing the breaks.

Comment

Working...
    X