Rally Inspired Pedal Kart Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rally Inspired Pedal Kart Build Thread

I want to make a build thread for this, so figured this would be acceptable. If not, well then

I've been wanting to build a go-kart for my nieces or nephew for a long time. Well, seeing as I don't live near them, and the ladies kid is about that age to be big enough for something, i'm taking a small step towards this.

Tto build a pedal car that is easily modified to accept a motor and other mods down the line is ideal. Aside from building one from scrap right now, I picked one up on Amazon for a good price. Going to make a rad Christmas/Birthday present.

Hauck Lightning Pedal Go-Kart - Race Green
    Click image for larger version

Name:	61gKhLlgboL._SL1002_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1273468

It's the right size, has rubber tires, adjustable seat.. it's simple. And it was $99 when I decided to pull the trigger.

Also picked up a full face helmet for more immersion for him. Oh, and safety too?

Name:	41hZQ-HTnQL.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	1273469

Well, his favorite color is blue. He and his mom have a thing for Subarus, and I had planned to make it a little buggy/rally style, so we're going with a Subaru rally ish design.

Everything arrived this morning. After they left for the morning, I pulled it inside, and built it to make sure all the parts are there and everything fits like it should.

Name:	IMG_0882.JPG
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1273470Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0883.JPG
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	1273471Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0884.JPG
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1273472Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0888.JPG
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1273473

Now that all is well. time to strip it down, and get it ready for some paint and mods.

Name:	IMG_0889.JPG
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	1273474Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0909.JPG
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1273475

Plans:
    • Build either aluminum or di-bond skid plate
    • yellow rectanguler fog lights
    • orange safety flag
    • Paint frame blue (rattle can or powder coat. depends on price of powder coat)
    • Paint chain guard to match livery.
    • Paint wheel gold, or white with OZ Rally decals

Current livery options are as follows

Name:	liveryideas.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1273476

I also think it would be cool to throw on a powerwheel battery or some other small 12v and wire the foglamps to it, so they would be working. And for fun, might even do a horn.

I found this while looking for ideas for a steering wheel center cap. LOVE the shock boot on the frame. I might have some red guys lying around that will accommodate this.

Name:	2014-10-15_1450__46__pedal_installed_preview_featured.jpg
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	1273477

I obviously hope he REALLY enjoys is and wants to do more of this, as I would be very happy to introduce him to go-karts and midget racing. but who knows. just leave it to him.
    Last edited by worldhazard; 11-28-2015, 05:59 PM.
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Render for a 3D printed replacement horn pad cover

Name:	horn_pad_render1.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1241669
    1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
    "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Noice. Start em young!
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Well, put the first coat of paint on before I bailed on work today. Far too cold to do it at home.

Name:	IMG_0913.jpg
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	1241676

Comment

and well, some photochopping to boot

Name:	render2_subaru.jpg
Size:	351.9 KB
ID:	1241677

Comment

Really cool. Nice mods, too. Your nephew should really enjoy it.

Happy Go-Carting!
            02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
            MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
            MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
            Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
            Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
            Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
            Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
            Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
            Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
            Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

neat little project
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Yeah, you go uncle!
                I was just going to add some "down time" things ya doin'. And came across your thread.Have had this cart longer then most of you guys have been around.
                Nobody uses it anymore,boys 21,never interested. I would have stole this puppy when I was eight! We (I)didnt care ,we tracked it,we ravined it,we streeted it,good times. Just bored and started to remove the gov. on a fresh gx 200. It had a old school super stocked g200,with crazy start compression(compared to stock). Whew![ATTACH=CONFIG]
                Anyways,the kids will remember what ya done,if they dig a motorized cart they hopefully will be rabid and want you to build a better one and want to steal it,day and night!
                1980 wasp since new
                Oh,and that frame will perform like crap,with some power and weight behind it.Sorry didnt want to hog your post,just exactly was i doing and brought back my youth!
                Have,fun!NickZ.

Comment

Oh.. well. to make this a little more clear, this is for 'the kid', girlfriends son, which will eventually turn into...... Sh... we don't speak those words.. yuck

Also, there will be NO motor on this. If he continues to show interest, then he'll be introduced into evolutions bit by bit.

On that note, whipped up the decals today, and started installing

Name:	IMG_0941.JPG
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1241693

Comment

and now, the Blue 'Subaru' has gold wrapped wheels. Took nearly 30 minutes a wheel...

Name:	IMG_0944.JPG
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	1241695

Comment

Makes me wish I was a kid again.

Happy Motoring!
                      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
                        Makes me wish I was a kid again.
                        Dude, no kidding!!! I'm quite jealous of this thing. I would have been crazy in love if I got this at his age!

Assembled it partially to get an idea of how things are lining up currently. Foglights are temporarily mounted as I need to come up with a secure was to mount. Will work on the skid plate over the next couple of days. Going to do some rally stuff this weekend, so that takes a couple days away from this. Anyway, enjoy...

Name:	IMG_0945.JPG
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1241702Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0946.JPG
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1241703Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.JPG
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1241704Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0948.JPG
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1241705

Comment

haha wait this thing has a handbrake?

I need one.
                          sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
                          92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Working...
                          X