The 88' 323 Wagon build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 88' 323 Wagon build

I recently purchased myself a 1988 323 Wagon, it has been mechanically converted to a GT with the rear disk brakes, sway bars, and of course the B6T

The plan for it is to get it running and plated with the B6T then later I'll pull it out and swap in a KLG4 with a turbo, 5 lug conversion and get it riding nice and low

It was in the beginning stages of being parted out so it didn't run when I picked it up but was told it shouldn't take too much work to get fired back up again

Here's a few pics from when I picked it up

And a bunch of spare parts to go with it

It also had 4 garbage tires on it which can somewhat be seen in this pic

Before I started putting a face back on it I wanted to test fit my festiva ATH front bumper on it, it fits beautifully if I choose to use it

After a set of tires I was able to roll it out of the garage for a quick photo shoot and to clean up the garage before I get started on fixing it up

My collection of spare parts

First disgnoses showed it has spark but no fuel pressure, so digging further I found out that the fuel pump was dead

So it's a perfect time for an upgrade with a walbro 255lph pump

Along with a new sending unit and gas tank

The old, beat gas tank with the remains of a mouse nest that was on top of the tank

New tank ready to go in

But after getting fuel pressure to the fuel rail, it still won't fire up, checking things out I found out it lost spark..... Ugh
    Last edited by Damkid; 12-10-2015, 04:29 AM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Car looks very clean underneath residing in Ontario.

Comment

The 88' 323 Wagon build

It was originally a British Columbia car and only two owners since being brought to ontario, and he didn't let it see winter lol

I'd like to sand blast the underneath of it and spray it with rocker guard or something heavy duty to garentee it won't rust at all

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Ahhhh..that makes sense. BC / west coast car..no wonder, I knew it had to be something along those lines as its way too clean to be an Ontario car.

When I lived in Toronto my AE86s turned into worthless scraps from the horrid and salty winters, then every Spring and Summer I spent each weekend chasing down the rust, and patching the car only to wash, rinse and repeat the following year. It hurts to have something that you put so much time and money into decay in front of you, in the end I had to part out the car and scrap the shell as it was getting too weak. A very defeating feeling.
        Last edited by slownrusty; 12-10-2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

That's partly why I sold my festiva, I seen the decay was starting even though it hasn't seen a winter in 15+ years..... But it's in the hands of a talented body guy so I'm sure the minor rust it has won't be there much longer lol

Comment

You're 4WD short of what I'm doing with my wife's 87 Wagon. Its amazing how rare the wagons are, I haven't seen one in years, and I live where there's no rust (California). If you need ANY bolts, I have bolts from multiple part-outs of GTXs and have all of the special bolts you could need, most looking perfectly new.

Comment

I used to have an AWD protege, there's a reason I sold it..... Rare parts that easily break, no thanks...... The long term plan for the wagon will be a RWD conversion, but I want to enjoy it for a few years before I cut it up lol

Comment

There's a GTX in a junkyard 5 mins from my house, so I decided to pull a bunch of parts that is missing inside the wagon or just small parts to fix the little things and a couple with future plans in mind

-Hydraulic clutch setup (be perfect for the future KL swap)
                -Interior plastics
                -Key lock set (was surprised the key was still in the car and all locks worked)
                -ECU
                -relays
                -Variable int wipers
                -Sun visors since the drivers side has the "turbo engine warnings" and passenger side has a vanity mirror (my GF loves those)

And just a random pic

Comment

picture of the "turbo engine warnings" ??
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                  he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

This is the one in my GT but it's the same thing

Comment

I'd just say buy a 1979 or earlier GLC if you want RWD, a MK1 Toyota Cressida, or even a Mercedes or BMW wagon. The BF engine bay is the wrong dimensions and making an already fragile GTX transmission to be RWD only would be a mess. You'd need an entirely custom firewall and driveshaft tunnel if you went with longitudinal mounting, though the GTX rear suspension would probably work, except that same differential in 1.6L NA Miatas is only good to 200hp.

On a side note, it might be profitable to get the shifter cables and shifter from that junkyard GTX, they are pretty valuable. Don't forget the cable clips and the bulkhead gasket from the firewall as well.

Comment

djcommie - what does a GTX trans and a RWD conversion have in common?

Nothing

I never explained my plan for a RWD conversion because I've seen too many people post big plans on forums and never follow through

The GTX near me was only good for the parts I pulled from it, the AWD stuff is useless to me and I don't want any of it

Comment

Hi there. I'm in Colorado. I bought my '87 wagon new. It has always lived here. Colorado Springs Is a semi-desert so no rust. If you would like to see some pictures, I'll send them.

Comment

The 88' 323 Wagon build

Nice! Yes, please post some pictures!

Comment

Nice wagon damkid,I saw and wanted that a number of yrs ago when it was forsale.Best of luck with that one.

Comment

Working...
                              X