The 88' 323 Wagon build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
    What would thoughts be towards using the KJ coils on the KLG4?
    Probably dwells the same, and would be relatively easy to make a bracket to bolt them down on. Wiring would be super simple provided the KLG4 coil pack is a 5 wire (power, gnd, t1, t2, t3)

KJ coils are three wire, power, gnd, trigger

I honestly don't know that there's any benefit though. The coils will still dwell for the same amount of time. Theoretically, you could use a slightly larger gap, maybe 040. Probably negligible gains without a standalone engine management system.
    Slowtegay - 03 Sunlight Silver MP5 - KJ Swap in the works.

Comment

The KLG4 coil pack has 4 wires I believe, I'd need to double check but I'm pretty sure it's power and the 3 trigger wires

I do realize there wouldn't be any real performance gains by doing the conversion, my idea is to simply clean up the engine bay lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Oh, then go for it lol. KJ cops are cheap.

Maybe the pack grounds through the block? Seems odd, though, as I thought Mazda was grounding pretty much all of their ignition systems with a capacitor as a "buffer" during the 90s and early 00s. I know my BP4w, FS-DE, and KJ-ZEM have one.

Comment

I think I'll try to pick up a set of KJ coils next time I'm at the yard then lol

The flex pipe on the Y-pipe needed to be replaced so I figured to also add a V-band clamp to make life easier down the road

Next chance I'll get to work on it will be Saturday which I'll be working on making the mounts to position the engine where I want it

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

i love v-bands!!
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Hydraulic clutch conversion using GTX parts

Comment

awesome goodness of 5spd is awesome!
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

When I did the diff swap in the festive I learned of a thickness difference in the ring/pinion gears between the B6T/BP G series vs the KL G series which does not allow the complete internal gear sets to interchange

And since there was a difference in final drive gear ratios I couldn't simply drop in the 26 diff to the KL trans so I ended up separating ring gears and bolting the KL ring gear to the 26 spline diff..... That proved un-reliable in the long run

For this project I don't want to go with an Mfactory because I didn't like how it felt to drive in the festiva so I started using my brain at what options I have to run an open differential and retain the factory rivets

So knowing KL trans either came with a 4.10 or 4.38 final drive, I got thinking about what 26 spline G series had a 4.10 final drive.... The BP trans..... So tonight I picked one up and got to work

After pulling both transmissions apart, I confirmed they had identical final drive gear ratios

The BP ring gear is not as thick as the KL ring gear but I don't think it will cause a problem since the gear ratios match

I was really happy how that turned out so I started the re-assembly

Comment

can you elaborate why you don't like the Mfactory?

Comment

When driving around a corner if you floor it to the point that the inside tire tries to spin, the outside tire essentially tries to push the car around the corner so it felt like I was fighting the steering wheel

With the wagon I'm hoping for a powerful yet comfortable car to drive

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                        When driving around a corner if you floor it to the point that the inside tire tries to spin, the outside tire essentially tries to push the car around the corner so it felt like I was fighting the steering wheel

With the wagon I'm hoping for a powerful yet comfortable car to drive

I'm rebuilding my KL 5 speed right now with a MFactory Helical. Hopefully the torque on the KJ doesn't induce the problem you describe :S

Comment

Originally posted by xYoko View Post

I'm rebuilding my KL 5 speed right now with a MFactory Helical. Hopefully the torque on the KJ doesn't induce the problem you describe :S
                          My festiva had manual steering and so does the wagon.... I would imagine with power steering an Mfactory shouldn't push the car around a corner as badly

Comment

Today I re-threaded the holes in the block for my intermediate shaft mounting plate I made and installed it

When I bought the 626 the owner said it leaked a lot of oil.... So I ordered new valve cover gaskets which arrived today, so I got those replaced as well

The previous owner of the wagon must have had trouble at some point with the crossmember bolts because the front was welded directly to the lower rad support

So while the engine is out I decided to cut it off so I can make the proper repairs to both the crossmember and the lower rad support

In the process of removing the crossmember I also found the rear bolts were rusted pretty good to the point where I need to basically replace all 4 captive nuts to properly re-attach the crossmember

So today I ground off all the welds on the crossmember, drilled out the mounting holes again (they were full of welds) and re-inforced the ground down areas

Next job is to replace the captive nuts.... ****

Comment

Captive nut repairs... Ugh....

I found that some mice once made a home in the cavity for the rear captive nuts

Comment

Before I start making motor mounts I wanted to clean up the surface rust from the engine bay, looks pretty ****ty

Then found a rust hole in the strut tower and after having both strut towers on my GT separate, I decided to fix the problem before it becomes a bigger problem

The paint that I picked up doesn't quite match the exterior, but it's close enough lol

Comment

Working...
                                X