No announcement yet.

Aftermarket Sensor Locations/Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

zero point to a oil temp sensor in the head. for most practical applications there's zero point entirely- unless your looking to monitor it for cooling needs.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Zero point to doing anything to this car. I just got a deal on some gauges so I want. To follow through and install them.
      I could use it as water temp but there's one on the dash already so why have a second one?

If there are no other free holes I I guess I can make the oil pressure sender work from the head there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The standard gauges have a very limited "on or off" reading. Any upgrade to an aftermarket gauge and more specific sender with a greater tolerance will give you a much better reading.

If you want oil pressure, I think you could find an oil pressure sender with fitting on Ebay and the like for the early (90-93?) miatas which had a "real" operation. Although I believe this is still head temp, which I still think is better than nothing?

I would assume drilling into the head wouldn't cause oil to shoot out and pressure to be negligible, but I would think the bottom end would be a different story, since all the oil is concentrated at the bottom?

Either way, drilling/tapping into a pre-existing notch with supplies that directly go into the notch seem like a much easier time (and more accessible) then drilling down below (you'd also have to research the best spot to drill on the bottom, which might be out of your scope), even though your net result will be a less accurate gauge then a bottom end reading.

Still, head pressure/temp for racing applications is still better than nothing? I guess it depends on what your application/use for this project is.

FE3 and Kitty are both pretty smart, I'd listen lol.
        Last edited by Cloud_Strife; 09-01-2016, 03:43 PM.
        1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Comment

Yeah I'm just being a dork with the hole thing,
          I have purchased an oil pressure gauge and a temp gauge, both came with senders.
          I would like to add them to the car without messing with anything existing.
          The engine is, and will remain in the car.

So if I could fit a drill in there (to drill out the head) is it safe to do so? What of the metal shards,swarf?

Not so worried about an inaccurate reading as its not to be used to control anything, only displayed, and yes, it's better than nothing.

Read the maita artical, interesting stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X