No announcement yet.

Aftermarket Sensor Locations/Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The factory cluster sensor itself is pretty linear. It's the gauge that amounts to a three position dummy switch.

That said it's unlikely to be scaled to the gauge you have, although it could be used for an EMS system.
    Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
    kitty, you are a hilarious woman
    Originally posted by HopelessCow
    there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
    Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Sorry to bump an old topic, but it seems better than making a new one.
      Anyone know the thred size for the spare port that can be used for an oil sender? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

So if I'm dumb, and I'm an American here with a USDM BP, could I just tap the oil sender port, throw an oil sender that's made for the BPT, and use the data from that sender?

I'm assuming the sender does not have anything electrical going on, and you need some intermediary to turn a mechanical reading into an electrical one fit for a gauge and then pull the data to whichever method of readout (e.g. stock cluster/aftmkt gauge)?

Just trying to understand the process.
        Last edited by Cloud_Strife; 08-25-2016, 11:41 AM.
        1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud_Strife View Post
          So if I'm dumb, and I'm an American here with a USDM BP, could I just tap the oil sender port, throw an oil sender that's made for the BPT, and use the data from that sender?

I'm assuming the sender does not have anything electrical going on, and you need some intermediary to turn a mechanical reading into an electrical one fit for a gauge and then pull the data to whichever method of readout (e.g. stock cluster/aftmkt gauge)?

Just trying to understand the process.
          There is no difference between the BPT and American oil sensor. It is an on/off switch that activates at "lol nope"oil pressure.

There is no spare port save for the one on the head that can be used for an oil sensor but shouldn't because it's not going to give you mains pressure.
          Beater=/= Sleeper

there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
          Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Ah my bad, I need to clarify.

I want to have mad JDM TyTE Oil temp sensor, like the ones that come on the JDM clusters (I believe the light is on the right side taking up the "belt" light).

I'm assuming since it's a light, it's an on or off and not a direct reading (unlike our magical thermosensors), but I was thinking of fitting that on the my pro.
            So to do that I'm assuming there is already a port that needs to be machined out, stick a temp sensor in there, and figure out how it can go to a modified USDM cluster, or make it work if I fork the cash for a Jap cluster (My current cluster is destroyed).

Not sure if that is making sense or if I'm understanding the purpose of the JDM cluster "heat" light..

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	1242434
            Last edited by Cloud_Strife; 08-25-2016, 05:56 PM.

Comment

I dno, I just want to know the thred size, so I can find a hole, put in an adaptor, to put in a sender to run an After market gauge (unless I got lucky and the sender I got fits.)

Comment

No worries, I just have this retarded idea of stealing the fuel gauge and turning it into an oil temp one.

Talk to the OP, he's selling the motor but I'm pretty sure he figured it out and he's on here still.

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud_Strife View Post
                  Ah my bad, I need to clarify.

I want to have mad JDM TyTE Oil temp sensor, like the ones that come on the JDM clusters (I believe the light is on the right side taking up the "belt" light).
                  >circling the intercooler heatsoak light.

Suppose you want the over-boost buzzer too?
                  Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

lmaooo, I figured that after I looked at the picture. Oh well, I would still like 80's toyota speed buzzer.. or maybe just the kawaii door chime..

Comment

the heat light is for the cat.... they utilized a EGT sensor in the cat itself.... when you were boosting the **** out of it & got the cat too hot the light would come on, basically saying ease up or you'll have more issues
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Ah ok, I thought the pic looked like a cat but didn't really understand. Interesting Japanese magic.

Comment

Originally posted by worldhazard View Post
                          Looking at the Oil Accesories.. I feel like the port I want to use is actually the bottom of the two.. (where the pressure sender unit is).. the top is holding the oil temp sensor. Neither are secure right now, as they didn't want to go easily.. didn't wanna fudge up.
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]66923[/ATTACH]

I see in the spec miata build, the guy used the lower of the two for the pressure sender. Would you consider adding a line and T-ing it off to attach both of the unit from this point? [ATTACH=CONFIG]66924[/ATTACH]

When you say the water temp port, are you talking about on the ATX radiator, or the block itself by the t-stat housing (as in picture. see red)
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]66925[/ATTACH]

I have a stock EGT 5-speed radiator right now, but looking at sourcing an OE mazda ATX radiator

Btw, here is a cool resource that I'm enjoying regarding a rebuild/breakin
                          http://blog.miataracer.com/2015/01/l...ssembling.html
                          See the grub screw right of the red circle?
                          Can this be used for oil temp perhaps?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0546.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	1241786

See the grub screw right of the red circle?
                            Can this be used for oil temp perhaps?

Comment

That would give you the head oil temp, if you want that sure.
                              Beater=/= Sleeper

Comment

Thanks
                                (More noob questions)
                                So what are the pros and cons of a head oil temp? Would it read cooler than the standard position?

Any idea what size that hole is and the thred size?
                                And lastly
                                Will oil piss out of it if I undid it (car cold, not running)

Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                                X