Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crack in block, JB Weld

hi Guys,

I noticed there is another leak in my block (i've just rebuild...)

Who can give me tips on how to fix this ?
    I'd like to use JB weld but have never used it.
    Should i drill a small hole at the end to prevent further cracking.
    Should I make a V in the crack?

unfotunately i would suggest that you take it to a professional welder - or scrap the block(which i doubt is an option) the more crap you put on it the harder it will be to repair properly(if at all)
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I would grind a v groove, then weld it. You can use job weld over the weld to further seal it. I have seen this done on a marine block and 20 years later the same engine is still in use
      91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Would you be able to weld this without taking the engine apart again?

Comment

^ yes, you'll have to obviously bring the motor to them/have it out of the car if its a mobile welding service.
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

>ALUMINUM BLOCKS ARE FINE
            With that out of the way

Since it's on a water passage you can probably get away with JB welding it. If you do put some fiberglass impregnated with JB over it as well.

You could also braze it if you're up for it. Heat the block up if you do that though.
            Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
            kitty, you are a hilarious woman
            Originally posted by HopelessCow
            there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
            Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitty View Post

If you do put some fiberglass impregnated with JB over it as well.

You could also braze it if you're up for it. Heat the block up if you do that though.
              What is fiberglass impregnated?

What is braze ??

I plan to take the engine out of the car and than fix it.

Comment

Braze is welding with a brass rod
                91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Originally posted by whitefinish View Post
                  What is fiberglass impregnated?
                  Take a piece of fiberglass or other sturdy mat and coat it with JB weld on both sides heavily. It will serve a dual purpose of supporting the JB weld onto the block and help in getting a good seal. There is also some chemistry rubbish about it but nothing to concern yourself with.

I'd say brazing is closer to soldering than welding.

This would be a good opportunity to learn a life skill and brazing would last the lifetime of the engine if done proper.
                  Beater=/= Sleeper

Originally posted by kozzman555
                  kitty, you are a hilarious woman
                  Originally posted by HopelessCow
                  there is one thing i dunno what is that call,a thing look like a gun, u press the button and stick to the metal and it makes firework, do i need that thing?and what s the philip head screw drivers?
                  Using Linux for anything serious besides server or software dev is like using a tin can and a string for telecommunications.

Comment

Working...
                  X