car shopping, open to suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car shopping, open to suggestions

it seems like the misfiring cylinder is annoyingly here to stay and the suspension squeaks and thunks are louder than being front row at a STOMP show. at this point any amount of repairs would exceed the value of the vehicle.

so i've been window shopping and i really wanted to get into RWD. but i'm open for anything. BMWs are very tempting but the long term maintenance and repair costs are scaring me. the mustang is cheap, available, and everywhere. with a budget < $20,000 here are some other considerations:

Sleeper:
    2013 Ford Police Interceptor (ecoboost). except none are for sale near me, i'd have to travel just to see a car i might not like. i like this route for the cost and the fact that RoboCop predicted the future.

RWD:
    2010 Mustang GT. before the Coyote V8, the 4.6L got a small boost of power and prices fell in anticipation of the return of the 5.0. few BMW 1er/3er with the 3.0L I6 twin turbo engines fall within this price range but good luck finding any with < 60,000 miles.

FWD:
    2014 Fiesta ST, 2013-2015 Focus ST. surprizingly, FiST prices are ridiculously higher than FoST prices. even for lower mileage FoST samples. bang for buck; the aforementioned Mustang nets more hp and RWD.

any thoughts? other considerations? i'd like a Miata, but i've literally been run off the road by Priuses, Accords, and Miatas here where i live, and i'd rather have a bigger car so i'm not bullied into the emergency shoulder all the time.

Buying a BMW would be a bad life choice.

Of those, buy the Mustang if you want to do smokey burnouts and crash into pedestrians at a Cars and Coffee event, or the Focus if you need to be an adult with a marginally practical car. The FiST is cool for what it is but the fuel economy is no better than the more powerful/useful FoST, which is dumb as hell. I've seen brand new FoSTs on Autotrader in the $19-20k range if you're willing to travel a little.

Personally I'd buy one of those Fiestas with the 1.0 Ecoboost and just add the FiST suspension with some cool wheels and be done with it.
    sigpic

03 Accord DX: K24/5MT, peasant-spec old man's car
    92 240SX: KA/T25, nerd mobile

Comment

Mazda 3 with SkyActiv engine.

Happy Motoring!
      02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
      MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
      MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
      Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
      MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
      Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
      Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
      Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
      Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
      Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
      Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
      Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
      Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

i wish i could drive this car until the next-gen Mazdaspeed models come out and drop in price. if i were to get another Mazda, it would be an RX or an MX

the aftermarket bleeds ponies so that mustang is tempting...the redneck in me is showing.

Comment

Working...
        X