Evenly light gauge cluster with LEDs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW... 626 ebay header......
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I've seen it mentioned here and a few other places, but no hard numbers, just claims that if you run it on 87 instead of getting the 10HP gain you'll get better MPGs, but I'm curious if its ever enough to justify the cost. I have yet to even hit 30, 26 max so far but half of that has been city driving. I'm taking a bit of a highway drive soon though so it should give me a better number to compare. Any other tweaks that would help boost that up a bit?

Comment

the only thing i can really think up is a better ecu. they ran these damn things FAR too rich- there is zero reason they couldn't squeeze 30mpg out of the motor. I can break 32mpg with a GTR ecu & a boosted 2L FE3 (older engine with heavier internals)
        /my rant. I do want to try the MP3 flash myself. but time will tell if i ever get around to it.
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

I just noticed the eBay link (didn't see this went to page 2), thanks!

I clearly have a lot to learn about these cars! I've owned two '93 Protégés but never made any real changes to them. Most of my engine experience comes from an assortment of Nissan 240sx's I've owned over the years before moving back to Mazda with an '06 3, but again, never really made changes (it was reliable so it was nice to keep it that way). From what I can tell the Protégé 5 shares a lot with the older ones, but the FE3 and GTR ecru are new to me, definitely sounds like a solid setup. Depending on how these valve stem seals work on this motor (crossing my fingers the piston rings aren't also shot, blue smoke only for a minute or two after hours of sitting) I may just consider swapping it.

Comment

this has been a 12 year search for me. ultimately the brightest and most even light comes from an incandescent bulb, with the little redish condom on it. you could use the bulbs without the condoms but the light becomes less red and more orange.

i've found moderate success with 2 types of LED bulbs:
            this type of 74 bulb:

it still has a hotspot but less obvious than other bulbs because it has 3 prongs that point light in 3 directions. beware, the fit might be tight in the cluster.

and this 194 (or 168) bulb:

it outputs light pretty evenly in all directions. variations of these bulbs are available from many retailers online.

Comment

when you get away from low output LED's and actually use good LED chips you can far exceed the output of the standard incandescent bulbs.
              i've never had a problem finding radial mounted LED chips to spread the light in a similar fashion to OEM

Comment

Working...
              X