1988 sohc 323 won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 sohc 323 won't start

This car really is a great little car and has about 300K miles on it. It developed an exhaust leak and I let it sit for a few weeks. I went to put it on ramps to find the leak and it started, ran a couple seconds and died.

Now I need to troubleshoot the no start condition so I can troubleshoot the exhaust leak. I smell gas and think it might be an ignition issue.
    1988 SOHC 5-speed Mazda 323 SE Hatchback
    1990 MX-6 (in repair)

on the SOHC there are 3 common "no start" issues that are cheap and readily available to replace:

fuel pump. under back seat.

the most common is the distributor. this has been the source of 12+ car flips for me. I find "323 not running" on Craigslist for $200. spend $50 for a dizzy and a fresh tune up turn it around for $1500.

lastly is the Bakelite plastic fuse block near the battery. When it overheats it cracks and the contacts loose, well contact. this is a more involved upgrade.

I would recommend checking to see if you have spark.

rockauto.com:

SOHC dizzy $95, coil $10, plug wire set $10, Fuel filter $3.

If the car cranks, but won't start, then the main fuse holder is hanging on. If you get nothing when you hit the key to crank, look at the main fuse unit on the driver's side strut tower, look for melted plastic and loose/wobbly fuses.

~Rob

Comment

Working...
    X