Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me start diagnosing my Mazda Protege 2002, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P0421 should not be related to your dip in RPM unless the door in RPM is caused by a misfire. Intermittent misfires can cause the catalytic converter to fail prematurely. A lot of times if the catalytic converter is working marginally IE P0421 coming and going. A proper fuel injection service will clean out the cat enough to get its working properly again.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Henry. I have an interest in these kinds of issues, with RPM dips etc.
      If you go on the Mazda247 forum and search "alternator" in the protege are, there are a number of people who have posted with issues like this, that have been diagnosed successfully by their mechanic as the alternator.

I can not say for sure myself if this is the case for your car, but reading the posts of the problems these people had, it was a surprise to find that the alternator was the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by farcryNZ View Post
        Hi Henry. I have an interest in these kinds of issues, with RPM dips etc.
        If you go on the Mazda247 forum and search "alternator" in the protege are, there are a number of people who have posted with issues like this, that have been diagnosed successfully by their mechanic as the alternator.

I can not say for sure myself if this is the case for your car, but reading the posts of the problems these people had, it was a surprise to find that the alternator was the issue.

Hi, and thanks for the suggestion..

It could be the alternator since I've noticed that when the car is fully warmed up then I stop and start it few minutes later, the dashboard and all lights are a little dim, then I rev up to 1500 RPM and the lights get bright again..

I always thought this was normal behavior, or could it be something with the alternator?

Comment

I don't know how to copy links from one tapatalk to another but on Mazda247
          http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...le-and-Misfire might work

Have a read of that, sounds similar

Comment

Working...
          X