Rough idle and steaming rad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough idle and steaming rad

Just got the car running again from new head, intake, and exhaust gasket but it's not running quite right. It has a rough idle to where it'll sometimes die and when I'm driving it I can feel it hesitate randomly. Also the rad is steaming but the new temp sensor I got says it's not getting hot. Idk if these are related but I'm not sure what's going on.
    1987 Mazda 323 DX 1.6l 5 spd, KYB Exel-G struts w/ stock coils, hybrid cai, cut exhaust, custom 5 blade fan upgrade

did you "burp" the system when filling the rad? air pockets will cause the car to run hot intermittently. also can cause the rough idle. usually rough idle is a vacuum leak. a random hose loose, a gasket not evenly torqued etc. also an exhaust leak.

Rad steaming could be just that the OE rad is worn out. rockauto.com $80 all day long. ebay sometimes cheaper. or a local recore still gonna be $100 I'd go rockauto.com with a warranty...

the trick is to get as much in the rad and hoses as you can, start the car and let it warm up. Turn on the heater inside the car and set the fan on LOW so that the coolant is circulating everywhere. Then top off the rad. Squeeze the top hose (gloves recommended) and "burp" the rad. repeat several times. Might take 20 minutes. Shut the car down over night. Next morning, repeat. making sure the rad and overflow are full.

If rad is "steaming" its either crazy hot (not good) or its leaking. at $80 for a NEW replacement, just bite the bullet and replace it.

~Rob

Comment

Working...
    X