Trans. Oil Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans. Oil Recommendations?

What do you guys use in your older transmissions? This is for my 245k 1988 GT. Do you recommend 75W90 or 75W140 and what about synthetic? Last time I change the fluid in my trans I did a hybrid concoction and seemed to work well, but interested in what you guys use.

Thanks
    Y

I run ATF
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

I run 75w90, and the rallycar got Torco goop that was so thick that if you spilled it on your shop floor it would never rpt never Evar come off. 145 wt iirc, shifted kinda notchy til it warmed up. For street cr I would stick with 90wt. This has some cushioning effect. The old trick of using Redline Heavy Shockproof is also doable but I'd go with the Torco instead. The biggest single thing you can do, besides just be nice to the gearbox, to make the thing live, is to plumb in a pump and lines going to an oil cooler. The bearing pockets are just machined into the case. Some of the wall thicknesses, looking axially along the gearshafts into those pockets, are really thin. The case gets warm, the pockets expand, or worse yet get soft, the clustershafts move a little, and boom. If a guy didn't wanna drill holes in his gearbox case, he could pull his drain and fill plugs and drill holes in those and tap threads and install hose fittings in them and not worry about metalshavings in his gearbox. This mod was worth almost 100 degrees of trans heat in my rallycar The Toyletta GT4 trans has an internal pump and cooler as OEM. This is part of the reason we don't hear GT4 fanbois whining about their gearboxes quite as much as we do. So when we did that swap I pulled the Tilton pump out and just ran a bigger than Toyletta stiock oil cooler and done with it.
      '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
      '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
      http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I use GM Synchromesh in my f series transmission.

Comment

awesome info/advice jay
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Thanks for the responses and feedback!

Comment

I placed an order and bought Red line MT90 75W90 GL4, hopefully it will be here by the weekend as I am excited to try it in the transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by slownrusty View Post
                I placed an order and bought Red line MT90 75W90 GL4, hopefully it will be here by the weekend as I am excited to try it in the transmission.
                This is what I use in my transmission. I've used it for years and it's an excellent product.

Happy Motoring!
                02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Working...
                X