No announcement yet.

JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air cleaner in the above pics is from a the pre facelift catalogue,but I do have the real "after facelift" one.

Pic here of the radio that let me down in mz10,...
    And another pic of a few options and accessories I'm always on the lookout for,...
    Particularly the stupid ones,..like umbrella holder,bins,sunglasses holder(even though I don't own a pair),...sexy bin,... ..and so on.

Have another couple of options currently en'route,..so will post pics wen I get.

But the point I'm getting at is I'd really like to get the factory abs in somehow,....
    For myself only of course.

Note:since the air cleaner switch didn't fit in the dash from the factory,..
    And there is one space I may not ever be able to fill,...I'm not sure 100%,..but I think it's "adjustable suspension"(someone correct me if I'm wrong here),..
    I will put the air cleaner button in this spot,..have a plan for this.
    (See pics)

Unless of course adjustable suspension comes in on the tide somehow.
    Attached Files

Comment

Got bushes in,arms sprayed up nice,and cooked up good,..like all the other bits,...
      I think 6-8 coats on everything should be plenty,...
      And I have to say,..this paint is baked on "good!!",....like "reeeeeal" Good.

I know I said it before,...but "very" near to reassembling the back end,..
      Just have to sort out some small details...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Scrummatron; 05-10-2017, 07:27 PM.

Comment

i like that you're baking the paint on!
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
          i like that you're baking the paint on!
          Lol,..ya,..
          Haven't painted car bits in years,but I've perfected this technique,...to a degree.
          What I mean is the bits I've baked are like iron,..I said it before,but it's on really good.
          One of the reasons I didn't want to buy complete arms with bushes,cos there's probably still 1 coat of ****ty slapped on paint that would peel in a year,or I'd have to strip and re do anyway,...
          Very,very happy with how these are coming out,....

Small details currently being taken care of,....by that I mean,everything needed to re assemble,inc "refurbished" nuts,bolts,hoses,lines,....all that jazz.
          Less coats on these,but baked hard too,...
          Possibly unnecessary,...but can't stomach using manky stuff at this stage.
          Pics as examples,pic of full back end re'build kit to follow.
          Attached Files

Comment

I said "small details",..but what I ment was annoying little things,like cleaning and prepping bolts and stuff,...
            Don't really know what I'm at here tbh,but as I showed earlier there,I can't really stomach just throwing rusty bolts back on,so unless anyone can dive in here with a better idea,I stripped them all to metal,(gently),put a little anti rust etch primer on them all,..
            Cooked them up a bit,...and will slap a light coat of paint on them,and cook that on.

Was putting this off for ages,and I could've just payed sandblaster guy to do it,but can't stretch for these little things I can do myself,or anyone could do.
            Minus the top coat,they're all done now.
            So back end ready to put back together.

Honestly,will be dismantling this for discs on the back down the road so will use a zinc coated set then.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I wanted to have a nice picture of every part perfectly laid out looking mint before I started to put back together,...might get one,..but here's a "partial" back end re'build kit.
              Attached Files

Comment

Since I didn't need any of these painted bolts to stick up the suspension,i threw them on,..
                I greased up the tops "big time" before I bolted them up,but was a bit messy and couldn't really take a pic of that,...
                It said on the tub "don't over grease",...
                I probably did a bit.
                Attached Files

Comment

I had to butcher out the broken bolt in the chassis and re tap it,..which took ages and was a complete pain,...but got it done.
                  Test fitted the back axle to make sure it was all good,and will bolt it up tight when the refurbed bolts are painted.
                  Heat shield on and looks good,..
                  Test fitted the trailing arms too as I was a bit worried I cooked on a bit too much paint,..
                  But they're good to get torqued down too,...
                  Should be back on 4 wheels this weekend.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Also,I managed to pick up a "perfect" set of sun visors,...I've been lookin for a set for ages,with the flap attached and perfect plastic and metal bits.
                    Maybe these are easy got in some country's,but since 4 of the 5 people I know well here who are into these are looking for a passenger sunvisor,...with the flap,...I was pretty chuffed.

I would've been reassembling the back end last week but put off the bolts refurb as the new rear shoes I ordered are for a 1.3,...
                    The shoes for the interplay only fit this car,and the jap az3.
                    They're twice the width of the standard shoes,..
                    Still shoes,...
                    But at twice the width,they gota be doing something to help?
                    Attached Files

Comment

I'm sure it's common enough,and I have mentioned already,but "restoring" a car to "near-mint" condition must be as annoying to anyone else who does it,..as it's becoming to me.

As in,not wanting to re use anything that was there before "at all",...
                      And everytime I go to do something I find something I'm not happy with and go off on a tangent,..

Anyway,still waiting on some little bits,but other things ongoing,..
                      I'm sick looking at these apparently useless nut holding things hanging there,so hacked them off.
                      If anyone thinks I shouldn't have let me know,but don't think they do feck all,...so they're in the bin,
                      The space freed up let me properly clean this "cavity",and rust treat it for the future,will paint before finishing.

Also,cleaned and painted the handbrake cable neatly,and since the tunnel isn't easy to get at,(fortunately it doesn't really rust in these,)I wanted to re-do the paint black to match everything else before refitting everything under the back third.

Re done the middle heatshield like the others,looks good,...
                      Paint dry on all,ready for refitting.
                      Attached Files

Comment

You are doing a good job of very detailed restoration all👍👍

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

I am beginning to gather some parts for my mazda 1993 to restore it but the parts are difficult to find

Comment

Pic here of the large box of "restored" stuff that's all needed for back end re'build only,still not complete so will show a good pic when last bits arrivé.

Also,stripping a few of these lately has left me with several large boxes of nuts and bolts,and basically everything needed,or almost everything needed,that's in better shape then what's there already,..nice.

Also,this thingy as an example,....
                            No prizes for Guessing which one originally came on mz1??

Officially,..."everything" is being replaced now,hence,another short delay.
                            Attached Files

Comment

What percentage of all the parts do you have for the car

Comment

Also picked up one of these "square-big type front-edm-fog light grills",.
                                Don't remember seeing these years ago,for the big type front,but have seen a few around lately and they're pretty cool.

Of course,the accurate big type front fog grill for this car is the jdm "zenki/bug eye" grill.
                                But those are pricey-cool but strange looking to some-rare-and tbh I was thinking this square type "might" look cooler with the planned OEM square fogs in the bumper,....which I may have located.

Anyway,a few pics there,mint condition,never or barely used.
                                Will give it a try when the time arrives.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X