No announcement yet.

JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easier to see the imperfections of the original,when placed beside a final straightened and perfect copy.
    I have to say,that although I am a sucker for detail,and original parts especially,...
    ..the copy is so superior in every way,looks,feel,completely accurate and perfect copy,without the scuffs,dents,bends and so on(though small,they are noticeable)that I won't be using the original in the car.

It's made from the same 'type' of plastic,abs plastic I'm told originally,which reacts over time to heat and uv Ray's,but the copies are made from a newer less reactive type,and after printing go through a kind of heat tempering that really makes them a1 as copies,..and is very strong,...as strong as the original or stronger.
    And "modern computer software" straight.

Copies of the original super thick metal "no smoking" sticker,I have ordered and are en'route.

I will post a pic of the finished ash tray soon but if anyone wants one,inc the sticker,let me know.
    They're not exactly cheap,but they're kinda cool,and far superior to any of the originals still floating around,and all the hard work is already done.

Doing all this obviously led to a lot of thinking over what parts people would like a perfect copy of,...particularly some parts that are very hard to get.
    Or indeed impossible.
    Attached Files

Comment

Yes,the imagination ran amuck,and I got lots of other things copied,..
      The dash tray obviously,..
      Tow eye covers,..
      Arm rest supports,..
      Various other Nick nacks,...
      And of course,something anyone with a bg would like to get,nice new hatchback A-pillars,..

I remember years ago taking many sets off cars with relative ease,..
      Undoing the screw and sliding it off with a little bending action,..
      and then sliding it onto another car.
      Ah,those were the days.

Anyway,that doesn't exactly happen anymore,so these are something that I will put for sale soon,..along with all the other things I've cooked up,...and there's a few people I chat too waiting on these finished articles with anticipation.

But to anyone reading,consider this an early "advertisement" for any of these items I've mentioned.
      and if there's any part someone might need but they can't get,..that I have,Or Can copy,send me a message.

Attached Files

Comment

Lhd version of the dash tray also available.
        Attached Files

Comment

now thats pretty sweet!!
          but what exactly is that square piece???
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
            now thats pretty sweet!!
            but what exactly is that square piece???
            That square piece is the support for the centre arm rest,something that gets misplaced every now and then.
            Well I've seen some arm rests for sale without them,and someone I was chatting to were after one,so I made them a copy of mine.
            There's more to tell on these 3D printed parts,and all aspects of the build,just can't seem to find time to update very often.

Anyway,a few more pics of the process.
            Attached Files

Comment

So anyway,they're nearly ready,and are great quality,so il stick some pics of the finished articles up soon.
              I have loads of things "nearly finished,but time is a killer.
              Most other plastic parts like tow eye covers,bonnet vents,a pillars,arch trims,interior bits and whatever il probably make and sell eventually,but there's other material copies available of them already so only for the plastic purists I suppose.

Moving on,some other cool things I got,some I mentioned already.
              The option pioneer stereo with the "aux port",..
              The display screen on the clarion radio bit looks buggered,but I've a couple of good ones of those there,and they just plug in and out there so no problem.

In the catalogue pic there's a CD player underneath it,il be putting a gauge pod console thing there so won't be able to go "cd" I'm afraid,..but might dig up an original CD player that fits in the slot eventually.
              Maybe.

The plastic piece that goes under that CD player in the pic was for sale on a site in Japan a while back,was an original unused OEM piece,..
              Just a tiny peice of plastic of course,but pretty rare stuff.
              Attached Files

Comment

And of course a few close up pics of the original fog lights,..
                Of course many cars had these exact fog lights so not Bg Mazda specific,but these are factory originals,so pretty happy.

A few heat marks on the clear plastic surround bits,but the actual fogs are mint.
                They go on the wee brackets I showed before with a gt/interplay bumper like mine,a little freshen up and they'll be sweet.

Without the side bits,they're exact fits for the grill,I may go full Bosch at the from to make them all match,but again,il see what happens.
                Attached Files

Comment

I decided to bow to curiosity a bit,and picked up one of the digi dashes.

Of course,it's not jdm,or edm,or wasn't available anywhere except Indonesia or Malaysia I think,and I've never seen in a bg with my own eyes,but I was toying with the idea getting them,and maybe I won't like when fitted,but I think they might actually be pretty cool.
                  And maybe ad something else to the interior.

They came with a new lcd screen fitted,a new unused speed sensor,and a diagram to wire it to the solder marks in the pic,but I may need some advice on this one.

I seen someone fit them in a thread here before so if anyone knows exactly,and reads this,a wee pointer would be welcome.
                  Attached Files

Comment

holy OEM rare goodness!!
                    A pillar trims were on my bucket list a few years back, if you remake them. the demand will be real!
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

That Grill! That's the one I always wanted, but it was so rare I wasn't sure if it ever really existed.

That's some amazing stuff you got there!

I'll be watching for your FS thread.
                      1990 Protege 4WD
                      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                      ├┼┤
                      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                        holy OEM rare goodness!!
                        A pillar trims were on my bucket list a few years back, if you remake them. the demand will be real!
                        Agreed, A pillars for hatchbacks are hard to find.

Comment

Had to send the good madzee into hibernation for a few months,...
                          No point going on about the reasons,...but it's time to wake her up get crackin again I guess.
                          I keep thinking back to that "should take a few months" comment I made at the start,.... ..idiot.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Back to the grind,..literally.
                            The car has taken over the prime spot at the ranch,and most of the rest of the build will be based here,not exactly glamorous,or worthy of calling it a garage,but at least it's out of the worst of the weather.

So the back arches,and underbody,almost to the handbrake are finished to a pretty good standard,and have withstood the incredibly damp winter here pretty good,..

Leaving the front underbody and arches as the only real rust spots,and tbh,the underbody forward of the fuel tank always looked pretty good.

Few pics of the messy drive components at the front,and arches.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Finally whipped out the ultra nasty front shocks,including the one with the broken front Spring,...they're very rough.

A few pics here of the towers,they're actually almost rust free,very very light surface here and there,but no welding of any kind needed,..
                              scratch off what's there and treat it,and paint it,and it should all come up milhouse with minimal hard graft.
                              Attached Files

Comment

cleaned up nicely!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X