No announcement yet.

JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I had hoped to stick all back together in a few hours,but several things have slowed progress to a stand still again,..
    Getting work I couldn't turn down,preparing a car (BG) for the nct (national car test-ie.the Irish road worthiness test),the arrival and manoeuvring/playing with of mz?(another phase 1 edm gt hatch,this one already mostly restored and a real keeper),...
    And the small matter of 2 week holidays that was booked a year ago and "slipped" my mind,...
    Nearly over now,but Have another heap of stuff to get through when I get back so small steps over the next few weeks.

Anywho,...I did get a bit of time to work on mz1 before I left,...
    I don't want to say "test" fitting things,..as I've done almost all I can do with regards making sure reassembly goes smoothly,but i wasn't exactly rushing and torqueing,so not much to show.

I did get a few bits fitted,fuel filler pipe assembly I suppose you'd call it is in and looking good,...
    (just a note here,can anyone post here or direct me to the OEM assembly schematic of said fuel filler assembly,..as there's a peice I found on 1 BG,from the 15 or so I've been messing at,that wasn't on any other car,...I don't have a pic,but il post soon,...I just want to see is this part OEM,as it wasn't on any other BG,and I can't imagine "all" the cars I got over past year had new fuel filler pipes fitted and "all" left the peice out)
    Nothing is being left to chance on the back end reassembly,all parts are checked,cleaned,lubed,sanded and whatever else needs done to make the back end "better" than new,however,as anyone doing this kind of muck will know,taking pics of "all" the steps isn't practical when covered in grease,brake fluid,oil,dirt or crap.

Few pics of the fitted pipes,with new gasket thing.
    Note-I Will loosen again and glue the gasket in place,and fit a washer to the bolt that holds this mess to the inner wheel arch as I think it's needed,..when the main rubber pipe is connected.
    Attached Files

Comment

Also,started at the rear hubs,rebuilding in place with all the sexy new-ish bits,...
      This kind of thing with new nuts,bolts and bits is always nice and easy.
      But still a few curses were involved....
      (Really I was so engrossed in getting things on neat and tidy that I forgot to fit the rubber grommets to the cylinder and didn't realise til I was finished "idiot",..so had to pull it apart again and basically start from scratch,...grrr)
      Attached Files

Comment

And a couple of clearer pics of the bits fitted,...
        Note-that rusty bolt that's messing up the pics is going soon.
        Attached Files

Comment

Mz12 I think
          Got this shipped from the uk,..
          (Though the car was cheap,shipping and pick up make it by far the most I've spent on a BG in 10 years,but the myriad of brand new OEM parts that came with it,and the work already done,with maybe 8-9 thousand pound in rebuilding receipts for work done and parts bought for the car,..including £1300 and £600 pound receipts for the welding in of new chassis legs,wheel arches,sills,floor peices,...undersealing and so on,..
          Not to mention,fully rebuilt honed block with new Pistons,rings,rods,crank bearings,..al new pullys,pumps,tensioners,washers,seals,...
          Skimmed head with new valves,seats,seals,springs,gaskets,....blah,blah,b lah,...
          Really "everything" in engine is "New OEM parts",..and I mean everything,....
          New engine mounts and cradle,new shocks and spax springs,news slotted discs and green stuff pads,...
          Rediculous expenses incurred include new Mazda OEM alternator,clutch,flywheel,plate,release bearing,..
          8 OEM wheel bearings inc the 4 fitted,..
          4 new Mazda calipers,..(£1000)
          The list is endless really,....even down to new OEM heat shields.

The car itself was the boss of "Cardiff Mazda dealers" company car for a while,and accordingly has cool options like arm rest,fog light grill,side skirts,spoilers,...then it was his 50 year old elderly neighbours car for a short while,then was bought on trade in by a mechanic at the same Mazda dealer,..
          Who drove for years until starting the restoration a few years ago.
          (Hence the incredible expense of buying all those new OEM parts maybe wasn't all that bad with employee discount,...I guess.

Car has some small flaws,..rusty metal sunroof(have already purchased a glass one),...
          Drivers door card and seat are not in great shape(these parts in the other gt I have are like new)
          And tbh,the welding work needs,or more accurately,...isn't up to my standards,...the work looks good and solid,but the finish is poor,and was obviously done by a blind man.....
          Few pics for posterity.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 06:12 PM.

Comment

i spy high comp pistons!
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Likely,though I've been so busy with "house work",...I haven't had time to even look through the boxes or bits that came with car,...
              Let alone the engine.

But as the summers renovations are nearly complete,I did get at the good madzee for a day,..

Comment

So eventually I did get a day at the car,and as expected,with everything there and ready,it all went back together in jig time.

Starting with the brakes and shoes on the other side,then the arm,then I lined up the filler properly and hooked it up.
                Attached Files

Comment

Then the handbrake cables,all new zinc coated nuts and bolts used,and everything completely overgreased.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Then the subframe/axle,...and the rear arms,the lateral bolts,.and the back stabiliser bar,...
                    Hard to take running pics of this step by step.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Scrummatron; 08-26-2017, 06:36 PM.

Comment

man thats so clean
                      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

the engine bpt or na

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

And all the rest,which went together in a flurry,..
                          Light was poor and I didn't have the "rags" to clean as I went,so I will take some better pics in good light,after wiping all down and sexing it all up.
                          I did have some paint chipping on the painted bolts,but hard to see really.
                          And the biggest of the 3 smaller hoses wouldn't fit,so I need a slighty bigger size ...and I need to grab 2 of the big washers from another car as I'm 2 short to complete the lateral bolts in through the hubs.
                          So better and more complete pice of all together to follow.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Not sure if anyone else in the world is concerned about the condition of the vinyl grain on their handbrake,..
                            But it would be a long time before you would come accross one with a completely un shiney handle like this one,..
                            This came from mz3,..and is completely mint.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I also managed to rustle up some more of the rare optional extras,..a whopping "4",....
                              I have not had time to really look at or play with these or even take pics,..but here is a taster.
                              The no smoking ash tray/coin tray some people may have seen before,but the dash cup holder/coin tray is pretty rare now and hard to come by.
                              I also got the "actual" optional pioneer stereo from the catalogue,..
                              And the "actual" bumper fog lights to go on the brackets on the bumper,..
                              So the 6 frontal square lights looks like it will be a go.

Better pics of these to follow if anyone intrested to see them.
                              Attached Files

Comment

retro with the tape deck!! thats a neat find.
                                And your attention to detail is top notch. I can't imagine having the patience to go through and repaint every piece of the suspension like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X