• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After a little tidy up,...
    "Clean!!"
    Attached Files

Comment

Very close to fitting all this to car,...
      Got the other trailing arm bolt off,it took a big effort,...but it was bent,..not sure why,but bolt really didn't want it to come off and maybe I did it in my angst.
      Petrol tank is painted and finished,so are straps to hold it,...
      Also,..mz1 had one of those sexy rear tie bars,...so removed that fit on the super clean one,...after a tidy and paint,or maybe powder coat,..

The Lateral bolts were obviously only recently done,maybe 3-4 years ago,..so all came apart very easy.
      Attached Files

Comment

Quick update here ,....
        All shocks and springs ready,...good'ol monroe shocks,..and what I presume are OEM,.or realistically OEM replacement springs,...
        All the rubber helpers and Spring seat type bits are practically new,..and these clearly haven't seen any real road time,....so il be sticking these in for now.
        I rubbed down the tiny bits of bubbling paint and cleaned with spirits and gave very light spray to those areas,..then lashed on the rubber restorer to keep rubbers good,..

Also,..stripped the clean back axle,...for a little paint too,...
        Have a huge basket of parts now to get blasted,..and give them a paint,..and new control arm bushings and drop links are en route,..
        Hope to get this reassembled and hopefully fitted in next week.
        All parts there,..inc rear tie bar from mz1.
        Attached Files

Comment

All in previous pic sand blasted,.(and a few other bits),...then several coats of primer and baked a bit,..,varying primers where needed he said,...
          Having trouble getting control arms in this country due to a blatant conspiracy to take older cars off the road,...have a few bucks on the case,but it's holding up re'build of axle now,....
          Anyone know of anywhere to get complete rear bush sets then please "dive on in",..

Just want rubbers,not polys.

The ones in there arent too bad,..but might aswell swap all since its this far.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Great job. The rubber (factory) bushes are bonded into the arms are they not? So you may have trouble replacing without going to poly.

Comment

Originally posted by atomant48 View Post
              Great job. The rubber (factory) bushes are bonded into the arms are they not? So you may have trouble replacing without going to poly.
              Ya,...having a bit of bother with these,...
              I always thought they were pressed in,,..I'm sure I paid to have these replaced years ago,...
              And I'm sure I seen the rubber bits for sale seperatly,...had an issue with this one (pic)

Your in the uk,....how are they for parts over there?,...
              4 auto factors in my town and all said can't be got,.....(lazy)
              I've a few people on the case from all hemispheres,but next time your in auto factors in uk,...ask for something and report back to me please 
              (Don't really want the poly tbh)
              Attached Files

Comment

Might have to buy new complete arms,,,.but they're not for sale new here either,...so a bit of delay either way,..
                Got crackin painting some of these bits,....baked a few of the underbody bits,....
                didnt bother with the powder coating,...for numerous reasons,...
                May swap this axle out again for discs in future,..or abs system if possible so may just paint up all bolts and have a zinc set done for a future upgrade.

Reassembled pedal box too,....
                Always thought they could've thrown a bit of paint on this and the dash bar bits as the rust over the years from dampness,...but 1 quick coat of paint could've prevented,.

Anyway,looks good
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 05:49 PM.

Comment

a little paint makes a huge difference!
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                  he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                    a little paint makes a huge difference!
                    Ya sham,..things goin back together now,..sandblasting is a great job,and painting is a doddle when someone else does all that stripping and primeing.

Comment

Incase anyone is intrested,...of course the bushings can be got,...
                      These,..or versions of these all otw now.
                      So want to virtually have all ready to go when they arrive.
                      Attached Files

Comment

So want to get some of these little bits done,...all these bits painted ages but too busy with mz whatever's to really do the fitting.
                        So had to crack on,...stuck on the tank,...and the straps painted red to hold it.,..(not really sure about colour scheme under here and kinda just making it up as I go along).

Cleaned the rubber strap protectors and greased the undersides,and every bolt and nut,...got the exhaust heatshields blasted and primed with special primer and sprayed with heatshield silver then for effect.

Note-the rubber hoses off the fuel tank are mint,..but the little clips are rusty,....(pic2)
                        Just want to point out here how annoying it is doing all this work and not wanting to put anything rusty or even dirty back on the car,....
                        So il have to replace these like everything else.
                        Attached Files

Comment

So I rubbed down the por15 and got it very rough,..then I primed onto it,....it stuck on very good.
                          Then I sealed up the cracks and seams "again!",,..and extra primed them,...(the seal is a bit messy in the pics,..I tidyied that all up,..but didn't take a pic of final look,..."too much goo on my hands"),...

All sealed up tight,..more than necessary,again,....but primed all,..then painted all,...

Looks good,..and pretty good to go here,...may rubber goo over this paint again,...
                          But pretty much ready to accept back axle now,..
                          Attached Files

Comment

Pretty black under here,...but virtually done,...
                            I'm happy enough,
                            Attached Files

Comment

good progress!!! keep it up
                              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

More bits n bobs painted and cleaned and sorted,...
                                .not sure if I'm 100% doin all right with the spraying but 3 coats,a hotish cook and a long slow roast then,....anyone reading this that thinks that's not a good idea,let me know by "divi,......."
                                Il leave it.,....just let me know.lol

Cleaned up in the trailing arm chassis mount areas,...wire brushed off everything,anti rust treatment,then anti rust etch then anti rust black,..not sure if there's much more u can do.

All parts painted and cooked up except the control arms now so should be putting all together soon.
                                Restoration guy is coming to check all before reassembly to let me know what I missed,but I'm hoping no snags.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X