JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Well,have decided to start a build/re'build thread to keep a record of the work going into this familia,just in case anyone wants a closer look at one of these,and because I will inevitably lose any pictures I take.
    Have had a load of bg's over the years as well as nearly anything else that came in to Ireland over those crazy "boom" years from Japan.
    But always had a soft spot for the Mazdas,and having recently got my licence back after a long ban,I wanted another interplay.
    Preferably a grey one as could never get my hands on that colour over the years.
    Picked one up a few months ago,wasn't perfect by any means,but as they are so,so rarely up for sale here in Ireland,and particularly in the grey,I bought (had bought for me by the wife).
    --the pictures after the one on the trailer are the for sale pics from the previous owner--
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Scrummatron; 09-02-2016, 06:25 AM.

I didn't take many pictures when I got it,and knew I wouldn't be driving it for a while as some issues were present,(including some major rust).
    The car had been off the road for a couple of years so was starting to waste away in the previous owners back garden.he owned it and loved it for 9 years,and wanted to see it go to a good home.
    This is the only other picture I took before work began.
    Attached Files

Comment

As stated in the title,I will be trying to return this car to as clean and original condition as possible,maybe with a few period jdm extras only,and the odd upgraded bushing here and there.
      The finished look I'm going for will be the same as the one that flew by me when I was screaming along in my first car,a 998cc mini.Followed closely by an Abarth Fiat Ritmo
      Wasn't impressed at the time,but mazdas were soon the order of the day for me,and have always wanted to have a grey interplay sedan/saloon.
      (Despite having 8 of bg's of varying quality),just never had the money or time when they were available,and missed this very car twice in the past by hours.
      Lots of cars and years later,and 5 years off the road,.....
      This is the look I'm going for.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-10-2019, 05:36 PM.

Comment

What, is there just an interplay sale in Ireland?

Clean BG though, I've always loved that color code. Do you have digi dash? ANd those look like DC2 ITR rims?
        1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Comment

Ha,..not exactly,...these baby's are very,very rare here at the minute,and I have been looking at and for them continuously for the past 15+ years,I'm sure there's a few more than that,maybe in hiding...?

Doesn't have a digi dash,(but I am toying with that idea),and Unfortunatly the rims are bk racing,possible hand painted white??,..
          Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-10-2019, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Anyway,having got the car,I didn't have anywhere to work on it up until 3 months ago,and didn't have any tools or equipment or even a jack.
            (I previously had a huge shed/garage packed wit 10-15k of tools lifts and the works,but sold or swapped them all,mostly for home maintenance tools and the likes due to buying house and forgetting about cars).
            Aldi socket and spanner sets were soon purchased,and a bag of old screwdrivers and work began.
            A large rust hole under the rubber seal of the boot soon owned up to the rust problem,which had flooded the boot and the inner rear inner wheel arch on the drivers side,and rusted through both.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-10-2019, 05:34 PM.

Comment

And the inside damage,
              Attached Files

Comment

other bad points.
                ie rust in both rear arches,including one the size of a mandarin.(last pic)better pics to come.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Scrummatron; 11-10-2018, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Not being a welder,and knowing id have to wait on a welder friend to have free time to to get his nous on the cheap,I had to crack on with looking for more rust/nasty surprises.spent about a month hacking off factory underseal,and grinding off paint from the back third underside.
                  Also the front and rear panels were caked in surface rust,so sanded all to bare metal before sealing to keep it till welder Ready.
                  (Note the home made ramps).
                  Pics were taken about half way through.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Damn my friend, that is a lot of rust. Don't worry though, it all looks superficial and if you take care of it now you should be fine.

Not to break up your posts again, but I would look into a chemical coating called "POR-15". It is the best stuff I have ever worked with. I am currently grinding, cleaning, and removing rust areas in the trunk as I hunt for leaks to seal up the trunk and have been using this stuff. It's toxic as hell and you'll want a good mask, good gloves and goggles, and a separate container to hold small amounts as it dries quick.

Honestly, there only looks like one hole that would need to be welded with a new panel. And I think you could get away with that if you wanted as it shouldn't really affect chassis rigidity..
                    Last edited by Cloud_Strife; 09-01-2016, 04:33 PM.
                    1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Comment

Had the boot done as much as possible,and gave it a quick spray too.
                      Note the "not" Jdm spare wheel well sieve.
                      However,things weren't all bad,after "extensive" investigation of everything from the front of the fuel tank back,sills,chassis legs,jacking points,rear member,strut tops the lot!,revealed little to no bad,bad rust.
                      And apart from a lot of perished rubber there was no more bad points found(yet).
                      Attached Files

Comment

As mentioned above,wanted somthing that would "work" at repelling the rust,as these things are made of high grade tin foil as you all know.
                        So went with the por15,(unhappily as it costs a fortune),but willing to splurge on the rust prevention.
                        The main reason there are so few of these cars still around is most likely because a couple of years of neglect in our climate and they're too far gone to save.
                        Got the prepping stuff with the por15 and got to work.
                        And yes,this stuff is toxic.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Scrummatron; 11-10-2018, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Cannot speak highly enough of the por15,it is like iron.
                          But as I said before,couldn't realy remove the rear member and its components as I will need to move the car to welder very soon.
                          And didn't want to be grinding rust off,and around the petrol tank til it comes back.

Anyway....
                          While starting to work on the car a few months ago,I realised I would need a "lot" original bits n bobs that were missing,for the full factory new feel,..
                          Such as,
                          -engine
                          -complete air'con system
                          -steering wheel
                          -gear knob and boot
                          -drivers seat (bolster wear)
                          -airbox and all under bonnet plastics
                          These bits wer specific to the interplay,and hard/impossible to come across at all in Ireland anymore.
                          Also a long list of bits n peices that I needed that were specific to the familia such as,
                          -new carpet
                          -new headliner
                          -all boot plastics
                          -scratch free centre console
                          -non butchered radio and air'con area/dash
                          -seat belts
                          -boot board and carpets
                          -jack and tool kit.
                          -blah,blah,blah (ie loads)

and of course the coveted jdm familia options would be very welcome.

-mats
                          -momo steering wheel
                          -fog grill maybe
                          Too many to mention,..but the searching began,

The grey interplay (which I will refer to as mz1 from now on to stop confusion) came from the previous owner on its second engine,and 4th gearbox.
                          The engine is from a autozam az3(1.5 jdm mx3),and the current gearbox is from a 01 1.5 Mazda 323.
                          This engine and gearbox seems to be in good shape and the car runs and drives through the gears well,but subtle differences(including nasty looking exhaust manifold holes that don't match)and a few other very minor interior differences make it "not original enough" for me.
                          And so searching for a donor car became priority number 1 for me.

So Enter the jdm Mazda familia interplay x hatchback(mz2)
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-10-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Not sure if you got other message but thanks,was probably on your threads before looking but went with the por15.
                            Last edited by Scrummatron; 11-10-2018, 06:13 PM.

Comment

So anyway,...
                              I was busy busy looking online for bits n bobs for mz1 when I seen an old car ad a guy had put up a couple of years before,for some car,but off to the side tucked under a bush,the familiar familia arse was sticking into the picture(see pic).
                              Got chatting to him eventually,and he said he and his brother had owned the car between them for 10 years,and it had been off the road for the past 3 having been used as a green house by his mother,he sent me some pics (including one of it 4 years ago-above,and some of its current status-below)and i went to pick it up as it had all the original bits I needed,..
                              (Note the potted plants in the back)
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Scrummatron; 09-02-2016, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X