No announcement yet.

JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers for that sham,ya I will give in there a clean,but it's in pretty good shape to be honest,so not much needed.
    All rear rust issues are virtually done now,....so will be movin on to interesting stuff soon...hopefully...lol

Comment

Not going to call this car mz7,...but then
      This car was bought off the boat from Japan by a woman,and she was the only owner,it's literally been stood in a shed for 9 years,.overall the cleanest car of the 7 so far.
      Has 1 hole the size of a bar of soap in a sill,and the top of (broken) windscreen is rusted to crap,so leaking water and and a couple of hundred rust beads all over the outer body...
      But underneath is "very" clean,...and it purrs like it did out of the factory.
      No perished anything for some reason,..
      It's the bottom spec,1.3 carb Clair model

Anyway,....parts available.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-11-2019, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Anyone who has really been listening since the start would have noticed this brochure with the aspirational pictures of lovely clean interplays,hatch and saloon.
        And in the extras column is says 'am-fm pre tuner radio cassette" as something fancy u get with this model,....I'm 100% sure I got that tape deck thing with mz2,..
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-11-2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Not much actual work done on car,as free time is being used on other car related crap,..
          Some pics here of school me more pieces to add to growing list of cool bits for mz1.
          Picked up closing vents,..because they are cool,I guess
          This steering wheel and gearstick was removed from a gtr that was turned into a rally car 20 years ago,..had been in storage since then until I got chatting to its elderly owner,.....so have replaced the good condition one I had with a perfect condition one,...
          Gearboot is mint condition and was stored like this so no real solid creases.
          More lonely hearts on the horizon,and will be arriving soon to add their weight to the restoration,...including this completely original,fsh included,1 owner 323 gti.
          Attached Files

Comment

Already up to my eyes in mazdas but these baby's don't exactly appear locally for attainable money,...so it had to be taken into the ranch with open arms,..(ranch is where the cars are stacking up).
            Not related to the build really,..
            And the engine in this pre-facelift edm 323 gt is completely unabused and mint,..with full service history and only 1 documented owner,..
            Anyway,..some pics here incase I lose phone,for anyone who wants to see,...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Last 2 pics there show a couple of little chestnuts that are hard to get it seems,....to me anyway
              Mint Springy rubber headrest things,and a not cracked plastic ariel surround,...they are just a bonus,..as I would've got this car regardless of condition,..

And speaking of condition,...there's a reason it came to me handy enough,...and will be taken apart.
              It was owned by 1 guy up until 6-7 years ago,...had full service history,all original paperwork and services and mots,all original keys with the "metal tag" mentioned a long time ago,all receipts,original wheels and caps,original mats,original tool kit and jack,never used ashtrays,nos-like brand new looking-steering column controls,...what appear to be never sat in seats or used door cards,...everything about engine box clutch and drive is mint,..sunroof and all elecs obviously,nothing cracked or broken inc lights,garnish,grill,a pillars,plastics,underbody plastics,....
              Too good to be true really,..
              But was bought buy another guy then,..who put 150 miles on it in 6 + years,.and another guy a couple of weeks ago,...who done 40-50,...and then it came to me.
              Not sure who is responsible for the. Un'repairable chassis rust,...but it's even worse then the other red hatch underneath,...the legs of chassis are completely rotten,...which is severe even for my country.
              The floor is also horrifically bad,...
              Lol,...honestly,..I said grey car had rust at the start of this thread,but u can probably disregard that statement now.
              Attached Files

Comment

Mz8 I suppose.
                Many more pics like that but suffice to say,...it's incredibly bad,for the condition of the rest of the car.
                It's a Northern Ireland car and people say they use more severe salt on the roads and stuff,..not sure about that,but something went badly wrong under this car.
                Thus,...for anyone's budget,I consider this car unsaveable,....
                And it will supply power plant for mz2 in future

Not much point posting pics of individual bits in sale thread,but very clean parts available from this car if anyone looking.
                Mz6 engine removed and spirited away by another member,..and all that could be salvaged from both cars was removed,...didn't take pics of this day as was totally distracted talkin ****e about cars
                But Mz3 and mz6 gone to madzee heaven,..so space for the new arrival"s",...

Mz9 on the way.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Scrummatron; 03-17-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

that red 323 is definitely scrap. thats ungodly rusted out. even for the ****ty climate i live in.
                  ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                  he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
                    that red 323 is definitely scrap. thats ungodly rusted out. even for the ****ty climate i live in.
                    Tbh,...when I was really into these cars years ago,...none of them were rank with rust.
                    They were only 5-15 years old then,,...
                    A lot has changed since I was away,....they're always rotten or completely wrecked,it's a bit of a killer cos I'd love nothing more than to start driving this car now,...the engine is so sweet,..needs nothing.
                    Except new chassis,....
                    The last 2 pics of rust are the actual chassis legs,...
                    I'd pay a few grand for this if it was clean underneath cos everything else you just couldn't complain about during a deal.
                    Rust is catastrophic

Other cool things that came with this car,..mz8.
                    Emergency sunroof opener/closer tool,...(has anyone ever seen one of these before??)
                    Can't think of a situation when you would to "open" sunroof in an emergency,...but,...maybe.

Also,the little enki alloy wheel cap remover,....not too many of these still knocking about I'd imagine
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-11-2019, 11:13 AM.

Comment

My tan Protege from a few years back had that sunroof handle like that in the glove box

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ya,.u know urself,u would see the odd one of this or that knocking around,...but these 2,in their little baggies with instructions is probably pretty rare,...
                        But what do I know

Saying that,..il post a pic again of tool kit bits I've ammased from the 2 I have,but I'd appreciate a full contents list or pic if anyone of the 5 people reading can post or send me one

Anyway,..got the other 2 yokes binned,..and moved these 2 into their new homes at ranch,..pulled a few bits off gti but want to keep it semi complete so it can move if need.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

As I said earlier,...Not quite back to mz1 yet,...but getting close now.

Having a lot of parts lieing around now,another guy with a couple of these cars in Ireland needed a few bits to fix one up,so I done a bit of a deal with him and took his other saloon/sedan interplay,that he had owned for 15 years,and a bunch of parts to possibly fix it up,in a trade deal of sorts.
                          The car had a lot of love years ago,including a rebuilt interplay gearbox,near new exhaust and suspension,...then had a minor tip in front corner and was parked up,...
                          A disagreement led to the car getting smashed up in the driveway,..all windows smashed and roof danced on,..
                          This led to car filling with water and lot of interior damage,...but engine and all running gear is very good,...a lot better than mz1,..almost perfect.

Nearly all parts there to rebuild this car,and unlike nearly all other bg's around now,..it isn't rank with rust underneath,...and would be a good car to start with to restore,...
                          I will be putting this car aside for now and come back to it in future,..after I swap out the suspension and brakes with mz1s.

Now that every part "needed",...
                          and almost every part "wanted" are present,...
                          Il get back to the car I started off with
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Scrummatron; 03-19-2017, 07:42 PM.

Comment

DOHC with drum brakes?? thats new to me
                            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Ya,that is a bit of a killer,....
                              There was optional extra rear discs or abs on these,just not many takers I guess.
                              It has the semi back drum brakes,leading-trailing job,.. so they get a little encouragement to help out.
                              But I won't exactly be breaking any speed records with car or engine in standard guise,and I want to keep nearly original..so no real point in putting discs on the back except for sexy reasons

I think this 1.5 dohc interplay Mazda engine set the tone for 20 years of mazdas with 1.5s as the main engine choice after 1.3...it basically put the 1.6 out of business for want of a better term,...
                              And with maybe only 20hp less than the BG jdm 1.8 NA gt,...being a lot cheaper,and having virtually everything available on them that the gt had,...inc interiors,..and abs.
                              It would appear that these interplays are the reason the jdm gt,...NA of course,..is pretty rare.
                              Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 05:44 PM.

Comment

So whipped off the back axle,and rear shocks,....all good.
                                still not sure what to do with it,...it's rediculously clean underneath,...no rust,or even hints of rust....
                                Car had a lot of work done and a lot of money spent on it not long before it got tip at the front,...and has been sitting in driveway since,..
                                All the rubbers are sweet tho,...and everything was greased up well when fitted so all in very,very,very good condition.
                                the back axle still has 90% of its paint.
                                The shocks,springs,bearings,shoes and all that is almost new,...I say "almost" new,...but really,...it "is" new.
                                Bit dusty and grimey,..but "as new" il say

These are bog standard Monroe shocks and Factory springs,..so she will sit at standard height when fitted,..
                                Note:may lower it down the road,...but no panic on that,I like the standard stance.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X