JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheers sham,..it "is" a lot of work,...
    Doing all this with sand paper and wire brushes is a real tester,..

Was at car again,but forgot goggles and gloves,so couldn't finish last arch.
    Instead I hand sanded all the really annoying bits,and sanded and brushed every nook and crevice,also completely finished the arch I said was finished,it had some little nooks and bits of seal here and there,...this,and the complete underbelly is now totally ready for its final rub then the por treatment.
    All except the front facing welds on the new wheel well which need a tiny bit of filler,...and the wheel well itself that il sand the etch off before I por it,the whole underside is done-done.(up to the rear passengers footwell,as this forward is still factory undersealed and in decent shape---also,the mounts for the trailing arms I will be doing separately so won't be done in pics)
    Also the wheel arch is done-done.
    Should have both arches done-done in next day or 2.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Also working on these mats.
      The set I have is prrettty mint,but the drivers side mat has some issues,...
      The f of the familia is broken,some thread is missing from the bottom,and there are 2 small patches where it's almost fluff'less .
      Luckily I have a sacrificial mat with the pieces I want,and some nice fluffy bits,for experimental mat surgery
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-11-2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I know it's a sin to cut these up,but needs must.
        So butchery began,f and thread salvaged after a good clean and glue scalding.
        And I cut off the good bits,have a plan for these,...if upholster guy can't do it,il give it a go myself.
        Speaking of upholster guy,seats ready next week.
        (Made a deal to have the work put off til after Xmas for cheaper price).
        Attached Files

Comment

never in my days have i seen the rear center mat...... thats a real treat, i don't understand why you're cutting them up tho
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
          he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
            never in my days have i seen the rear center mat...... thats a real treat, i don't understand why you're cutting them up tho
            I cut up a wrecked one,that had bits I need to make a mint one,...
            It was wrecked,and the bits I got will make my good one,better....
            The perfect bits of the wrecked mat,I cut off,and will use these to repair the bad wear patch on my good one....
            Only pics will explain so stay tuned.

The middle back mat doesn't sit properly in the car,so people take out and lose I imagine,...this 5th mat is like new,clearly it was also tossed somewhere out of the way but not lost,which was sweet for me.
            Have had these mats before,but they are very hard got in good condition these days I reckon.

Comment

tuned in!!
              ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
              he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

So aching arms again,but finally,second rear arch fully done.
                About 5-6 hours on and off,..but fully stripped....
                Grinding,brushing,sanding,...
                Attached Files

Comment

When it was stripped,..I put some of this liquid metal gunk on,to fill the big holes and kinks,...
                  Then put a bit of filler over that,(with too much hardner,and in sub zero temperatures),went on lumpy,But the good ol plastic smoothener trick sorted it out.
                  Also filled the last lumps n bumps on the forward facing bit of new wheel well.will require some rough trimming before sanding,....but I wanted to get underside of car prepped and painted on next trip,so had to just get it on.
                  Also rough sanded the new wheel well,the bits of underside that's painted with por already,and really roughed up the whole underbelly,rear bench beam and chassis legs,....
                  Want to get some chassis bond to do the seams,but will be sanding the arch and wheel well filler smooth,and painting all on next trip.

I hope,..
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-28-2017, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Few pics from underneath,....
                    quick roughing again,full prep and ready to paint next trip.
                    Also I ran out of the magic goo,so will do a quick run over the danger areas again,and re do the seams some evening this week before I get the brushes out.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Got at car again for an hour,..
                      So got inside arch sanded nearly smooth,at all the patches.
                      Threw on a bit of primer to find the highs n lows,but got all the bad bits and big lumps done,...nearly finished.
                      Inevitably,..there will be some small lines of filler around the seams of the patches when I go to paint,I could've left the weld lines there and just painted over them,but wanted a smooth factory look,..
                      They should be good,but I suppose im a tiny bit nervous of having any amount Of filler in very high wear areas like the arches,...and il just have to hope the bits that will be there hold on for the long term.
                      Attached Files

Comment

More hours,more blending out of the patches and heaps more goo,..
                        Blended the front facing welds on the wheel well,and sanded the whole under side again before more goo
                        Totally finished everything now under here,...prep and paint in a couple of days.
                        Attached Files

Comment

This needs to be stickied... You have already surpassed 90% of the BG build threads.

Hell, there is one that like barely was a build thread. A guy just put new lights and stickers on and stopped posting
                          1991 Protege LX 5MT, P/S, A/C, NOW Sun Roof!

Comment

I think Ive surpassed 95% in the pointless photos category anyway,..lol
                            A no,...
                            Honestly,just incase I ever want a reference of the resto,this is great for storing the pics.
                            Fair play to the guys/guy that runs it,...*happy birthday*
                            Those 5bhp+ Stickers can really make a difference off the lights sham,...one on each side makes 10,..
                            Should be picking up complete suspension assembly,seats, and painting in the next few days,so things will be kicking on here in next couple of weeks.
                            Last edited by Scrummatron; 02-02-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

So spent the whole day at the underside again,scratched and sanded for another while,then washed all with the cleaner degreaser stuff,..scrubbing thoroughly,for about half hour.
                              Washed that off,..then spent about 45-60 mins keeping it damp with the metal prep,...
                              I have to say,keeping the rusty bits wet with this stuff works,and there was a lot of shiney metal where surface rust was by the time I washed that off,...
                              Don't think I could've done much better prep than I did,...maybe 4 hours easy,..
                              Few pics of the washing and prep.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Went to town with the paint then,this also took hours,...every crevice,groove and nook recieved 2-3 coats,and from all directions.
                                Paint went on good,...and as usual it was dark by the time I was finished ,so pics are crap.
                                Can't really have done much more under here with hand tools,or without sand blasting,or something else major I couldn't do myself.
                                So time will tell how good this stuff has stuck on,....
                                I'm very confident it won't move off the pitted/bare metal areas,but am maybe 1-2% anxious about how it will hold onto the bits of filler,or the roughed up paint.
                                Will keep n eye on this down the road.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X