JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Done the arches too,...
    Not 100% sure what I'm going to do yet in here,..
    I painted the shock top mounts,and down to the seam where that piece of metal meets the next,...and painted the outside facing flat bits up there with the lumps on them,...yee know the bits,..
    Then painted where that bit meets and joins the inside of the arch(where the patches are),continued to paint the seams(heavily)and all up the outer portion of the inner arch,if that makes sense.
    Really poured it on in the seams,and up where resto guy folded the rolled arches,...
    Pics prob say more than words.
    Not sure what do do with the unpainted bit,..will come back to that.
    Attached Files

Comment

thats alot of work, been there done that(minus right under the gas tank)
      give us a daylight picture if you can
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
        thats alot of work, been there done that(minus right under the gas tank)
        give us a daylight picture if you can
        Ya,..u know urself if u spend time under cars,and u could see in the pics,...where the tank is was clean and is usually clean on most cars,... ..but I just thought I might aswell do the lot.
        I can tell from your "that's a lot of work" comments,uve had the 'dead arms' urself at some stage,..lol.
        Will post some good daylight pics before I start to re'assemble the workings.
        I found a tiny hole on the inside sill near the trailing arm mount on passenger side,..I could just hide it or fill it,but that's not the right thing to do on this car now.."wink,wink",...so will need a 20 min touch up at the welders before going for nct (Road worthiness test),but it is a very small job and accessible when car is back together,so I will crack on with it for now.
        Last edited by Scrummatron; 02-06-2017, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Good progress
          Cincinnati, ohio Bengals for life
          "Who Dey"

Comment

Originally posted by bomdoutscort View Post
            Good progress
            Cheers sham,...
            Yes,progress at last....
            2 months of sanding and scraping did seem like "no" progress
            Re'assembly of back end to begin shortly.

Comment

Got my perfect drivers seat from upholster,after explaining he couldn't swap the bottom fabric piece over,...and me explaining earlier in the thread,....
              He did it anyway,...I would've told him do this at the start,as I can live with the 2 little holes in fabric of seat piece,i will hide them if need be.
              So it's completely perfect,more than hoped,and will go well with the perfect passenger seat after a serious scrub of both.
              Also,both seats now have useless map pockets,....maps don't really exist anymore,but still cool to have 2 I suppose.
              Attached Files

Comment

map pockets are handy for all types of things. seat looks nice!
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Ah ya,course they are,...just not for maps anymore
                  So here's the 2 front seats good to go in,...just have them home for some kind of final scrub.
                  1 still has its old seat bracket on it so it's a bit higher,also have the door cards in for a good scrub,might aswell give them a proper going over as everything else will be getting the full treatment.
                  Might not be very noticeable in the pics,but there's a distinct sun bleached patch on the seats,and all seats on all cars I've got with them in past while,..always on the left.
                  Clearly all these cars were parked side on to the sun for long periods,as can be seen by the weeping black goo that holds the plastic sheet over the door internals,leaking down and onto the rear left door card....
                  Will need treatment here.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Also,some clearer pics of the painted underside,paint has stuck pretty good it "seems",...we shall see.
                    Sanded the black over paint in places off and tidyied up a lot of bits,hoovered out and gettin ready to "home spray" the interior of boot,..
                    Couple of little tidying jobs to do,...then will be sticking some bits in.
                    Before that,need to get it back on 4 wheels,so before I get cracking.....
                    I Wanted to do the fuel and brake lines,so just spent a few hours sanding them clean and will paint these red maybe for the craic
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 05:35 PM.

Comment

good lord its shiny!!! bling bling!!

Comment

Yes very shiney,looks and feels good,....
                        While I'm down here I might aswell clean n paint all as best I can,...so sanded down all the lines,and painted them with some good red tack,10 year guarantee it says.
                        Took off and sanded and painted the brackets that hold the lines,and the handbrake cable,and the big straps that hold the petrol tank,..
                        However phone died after a couple of pics,so more pics of these to follow.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Scrummatron; 01-12-2019, 05:36 PM.

Comment

So got under here finished and back together,done the brackets Red too for effect,...
                          Sealed a few bits n bobs and the seams again,and myriad bits n bobs that would've made pointless pictures so didn't bother taking them.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Spent a couple of hours at the petrol tank and straps the last day,..scraping off the little bits n bobs or rust and sanding some bits,..didn't wana break out the angle grinder incase of potential death.
                            Gave them a good scrub then hit them with the 10 year guarantee paint,..lol.
                            Will paint the rubbery side aswell,..
                            They both came out pretty sweet tbh.
                            Will be sticking tank back on very soon.
                            Attached Files

Comment

The guy I got car off nearl said he had spent a lot of cash on the back end before it passed its last nct,about 3 years ago I think,and the trailing arm bushings are clearly new aswell,but wanted to whip them off for a clean and paint,...sure why not.
                              ..Not sure if many are following along,but I'm guessing this is a common complaint under here,havnt been at cars much,and particularly 80s-90s cars feck all in past 6+ years,so maybe I missed the memo,..but the square nut started spinning so had to persuade housing to move so I could get spanner on it,...came away easy then,...
                              Mechanic mate said it happens regular,and no bother,and weld housing back in place,..another guy said just put the square nut back on and centre and tighten,...
                              .Anyone who had similar issue on BG,..please,.."dive on in" for reference.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Great thread thanks for keeping it going.

The earlier chassis has a similar arrangement and similar problem (except the nut is welded to the bracket). Would be a good opportunity to clean up inside that chassis area now the arm is out.

Comment

Working...
                                X