JDM Familia Interplay BG5P Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FE3-323 View Post
    retro with the tape deck!! thats a neat find.
    And your attention to detail is top notch. I can't imagine having the patience to go through and repaint every piece of the suspension like that.
    Cheers for the plaudits sham,...and tbh,I'm really actually enjoying it.,..
    Messing with this car doesn't really feel like "work",...and after a month of "so called" holidays,breaking down and building walls,plumbing,electrical,plastering and dealing with kitchen design and stove people,...
    This was my first day off to play with it,and it was a pleasure.

Back end is all together,minus a pipe and 2 bolts,and now that it's mobile,il be moving it to a new shed which is a bit nearer to home so I can get a bit more time at it.

As for the tape deck,it's the third time I said "il be useing this" about a stereo,...but this is a "real" factory option,that u "had" to request and pay for,(with high power 25w+25w system lol),.....and will be goin in now for defo.(proof pics to follow)

(Unless I can get the even sexier one with the graphic equaliser display,or a more expensive optional CD player),....(we are talking about 1993 here )
    As everything eventually turns up somewhere,I haven't ruled them out completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrummatron View Post
      As for the tape deck,it's the third time I said "il be useing this" about a stereo,...but this is a "real" factory option,that u "had" to request and pay for,(with high power 25w+25w system lol),.....and will be goin in now for defo.(proof pics to follow)

(Unless I can get the even sexier one with the graphic equaliser display,or a more expensive optional CD player),....(we are talking about 1993 here )
      As everything eventually turns up somewhere,I haven't ruled them out completely.
      All of this is amazing!
      I can't believe it has an aux port!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ClubProtege

Comment

Originally posted by hips710 View Post
        the engine bpt or na

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
        The engine that came in this car from the factory was a NA 1.5 DOHC 16v,...B5-DE to be exact.
        I'm not an expert,but according to "me",....there should be a 120 ps engine in this car,as it's a "special edition",lol,...but tbh it's hard to pin down much info on that,i presume they don't get much fancier than "special edition",though there was a "special version",...and a few others.
        however this is the last version sold,and wouldve presumably had the last and best one.

but there's currently a az3 version of that engine with around 115ps,and the ecu to match it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dixie94Pro View Post
          All of this is amazing!
          I can't believe it has an aux port!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Yes,if you mean the radio,....
          Personally,I think it's amazing that I found this,,...the guy I got the car off thought I was a bit mental when I told him how much I wanted it,he nearly threw it away,....and the fogs were just a pure bonus.
          I'm sure most people think it's daft to be happy about finding something like this,but each to their own I guess.

I would lose the cool totally if I found one of the even flasher optional stereos,..with the digital equaliser display things.
          Or a CD player,not that I'd really use either,but to have the "fanciest" option would give me a little buzz.
          I still haven't gotten to remove it,but will soon.

Comment

This is the car those extras came on.
            I think mz13,but il have to check....

It's a phase 1 interplay,bg5s,with the rarest of the engines.(at least in my country),...
            That doesn't mean it's extra fast,But very reliable they say,it's a 1.5 sohc,and has 77,000 klms on the clock.
            1 owner in Ireland til 7 years ago,the second owner(guy before me bought from 1st owner then)put a few hundred miles on it and had it in his shed for those years,driving only very occasionally.
            Until he needed to sell a few cars to pay for wedding.

These pics are the pics he sent me,will take a few current pics when I'm at it to remove the extras.
            Nice car,again,too good to break.
            Attached Files

Comment

Il come back to those extras,and mz13 shortly....

Moving on,..
              I mentioned this before,but on the original "barn find" red sedan(mz3,the car I'm useing the interior from except the door cards and seats)had a part that attached to the fuel filler neck,on the opposite side.ie. Mounted to the exterior rear quarter panel inside the fuel filler flap.
              It's the only 1 that came on any of the mz's,up to 13 now,and I looked on 3 others that I haven't mentioned here,...so 1 out of 16 bg had this bit.
              Maybe everyone else or every other country has them,..or all Lhd cars.
              But 1 out of 16 Irish,U.K. And jdm cars is "rare" to me,and it seems like it's supposed to support the connection of the filler neck to the car.

Every other car had a rubbery thing with a metal ring built into it for some strength,and mz3 had this too,as they both fit together perfect.
              I presume that it's supposed to or designed to be used with the rubber bit,..and I can't imagine that all 16 cars,some of which had very few owners,have lost or had this metal bit removed before those cars came to me.
              (Someone dive on in if they know better,but again,...to me,it's cool to have 1 at least)

Anyway,...some pics of it,before and after I fixed it up.
              And the last couple washers and handbrake (beside the original that I removed from the car)
              Also,a pic of a schematic of the filler set up,not very helpful to me tbh.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Scrummatron; 09-09-2017, 06:46 PM.

Comment

And here they go,.
                just the neck lip.
                Metal support thing.
                Rubber thing.
                I guess.

Could be useless information to most,but u never know.
                Anyway,I won't be fitting this just yet,as I want to get in there treated and cleaned and sprayed with the rest of car.

The last pic is where The black boxy plastic splash guard piece that goes around the fuel filler pipes goes,I'm not fitting yet either,....finishing touches il call them from now on.
                Attached Files

Comment

Back to the finishing up.
                  I fully hooked up the handbrake cables,Spring and the restored middle heatshield.
                  New bolts and extra lube,as always.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hard to get decent pics under there.
                    But having all that back together,and all the new interior metal bits and handbrake to hook it all up,I cleaned the area up a bit and fitted all.
                    Couple of tiny rust bits I sanded and treated there.
                    Will be covering this interior metal with soundproofing stuff so no point painting it,just a little primer where needed maybe.

U can see from 1 pic just how crappy the original little brackets were.
                    New bolts and nuts as always.
                    Attached Files

Comment

So with everything hooked up fully,all bolts not torqued,but tight,...ish.
                      Only thing to do here now is bleed the rear brakes.
                      (There are 2 little rubber dust covers that go on the rear shoe controlling ratchet connection to the handbrake,I have 20 of these but they're all ripped or damaged in some form,,.being very picky here,but I may order originals from Mazda,...or somewhere)
                      Rubber bung things on the big washers and all
                      Car is ready to go to new shed.
                      Only took 1 year to do this.lol.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Packed up for evac,good to go,minus a wheel.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Scrummatron View Post
                          Only took 1 year to do this.lol.
                          Looks like it was worth the wait.
                          1990 Protege 4WD
                          GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                          ├┼┤
                          2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
                            Looks like it was worth the wait.
                            IT was,...,but in my head before I started,I thought this would take 2-3 months,...lol.

Comment

Haven't updated in ages,but I've been busy as always...
                              More renovations,another baby arrival,and various setbacks....but that's life.

Have been spending a lot of spare time working on some of the parts I got,the dash tray and ash tray mostly.
                              As most would know,they are very rare parts...but that type of abs plastic spending 25+ years on a dash exposed to heat and uv light,or cooped up in a warm centre console took their toll on those parts,and as they're so hard to find,....never mind buy,?...
                              l wasn't going to just come accross another one of either....
                              Or put the less than perfect ones into my near perfect interior....
                              So I decided to spend lots of time and effort to make up replicas of them with a couple of 3D printing experts.

A couple of pics of the not so perfect fitting parts.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I could post a load of similar pics,but the point is it was warped by a mm to4/5mm here and there,had a tiny crack,and some scuffing on the imitation plastic vinyl grain.
                                A few pics,but tbh,the bends and not perfect bits are hard to put accross in pics,and are probably no more than to expect with such old parts,and I will probably sell them again,as they are in good condition,but I felt they could be better with some love.
                                Similarly,the ashtray had bits n bobs of bending and just wasn't perfect.
                                After chatting with said experts,and getting the items laser scanned(the white dust on them),I could then make replicas,and have the software manipulated to make them perfect.
                                Like they were when new.
                                Or at least very close,with a new feel to them.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X